jeep [dana 30]

I am doing a friend's front axle changing gears . I started off measuring from case bearing half to race seat and got that distance .I then measured the bearing and race together and then the pinion gear end and then figured in the test dimension plus the slinger and took the difference for my shim pack . it is some thing similar to doing trans axle in tractors. any way. I put it in and got my rolling torque of 10inch lbs and then checked my test depth I was with in .005 of the test depth .had the ring gear preload figured out and split to each side put it in and moved shims from one side to the other and set my backlash at .007 and ran a paint test. It showed that it was running toward the carrier and I needed to move the pinion in when I did it hit the slinger on the ring gear slightly and I ran out of room on the left side to move shims to get my backlash .I then ran a paint test again to check ware I was I was still to the carrier side . I then started over with my original .075 shim pac and went down the other way and my paint track stayed toward the carrier and the slinger hit the case . any help would be great thanks jay

First things I have to ask. Changing to a different ratio? Brand of new gear set? And did either or both the pinions have numbers on the heads that start with a + or - ?

yes he is changing ratios it is a brand new set the old one was plus 4 the new has a test depth stamp of 2.254