Make
Dodge
Model
Caliber
Year
Miles
N/A
Engine
All - the JF011E CVT trans is hard to find used where I live, and I may have an opportunity to grab one really cheap but it's in a 2007 AWD Caliber. I also drive a 2007 Sentra with the JF011E, and it's still going strong with 200K miles. Anyway, there's not a lot of info out there. Does anybody know if the variators would be the same in the AWD as in the FWD, or have any other info? If it's the same variators as the FWD units, then I want to grab this if it's still available tomorrow. Thanks,

MT

bp042665

hunting nut
i do not i repeat do not recommend mixing them they are vin # specific for gear raitio go to SW Transmission And look there thats where i get mine when they are past the point of me rebuilding them

Mealticket

Thank you, bp042665. I see that SW Transmission sells complete units. Just to clarify, when you say 'thats where i get mine when they are past the point of me rebuilding them' are you referring to the whole tranny? Not replacement variators?

MT

bp042665

hunting nut
yes i own a transmission shop and if the pulley system is to far worn its not worth fixing price wise i can get a complete unit with a 1 year warranty parts and labor

Mealticket

Okay, thank you for the help on this. Someone in my area is pulling all the CVTs out of Sentras and Calibers from the Pick 'N Pull yards before anyone else can get them. Not sure what they're up to. They left this one, prolly because it's AWD.

MT

NickD

wrench
Most newer shop manuals don't even cover transmission repair and the way this industry is going if anything is wrong with your vehicle, we will have to replace the whole thing, Bill Clinton did a beautiful job of practically wiping out the rebuilding industry in this country and not political but a fact.

You can find used stuff with unibodies, the largest throwaway part non repairable, wrecking yards are loaded, but shipping cost and taking their word for it can be costly.

Not sure about China anymore with the new virus, but a wrecking yard will pay 300 bucks for any vehicle because China wants it for the steel. Ha, use to have to pay your wrecking yard to get rid of a vehicle. Auto Zone claims to have this transmission, can check with them.

Mealticket

Autozone $2849, AWD $3167, $600 core...the main issue with these trannies is a flow control valve in the pump that wears its bore, causing low pressure, which in turn can damage the variators, belt slips, etc. There's aftermarket solutions for the control valve problem.

MT

NickD

wrench
Autozone $2849, AWD $3167, $600 core...the main issue with these trannies is a flow control valve in the pump that wears its bore, causing low pressure, which in turn can damage the variators, belt slips, etc. There's aftermarket solutions for the control valve problem.

MT
According to Kelly Blue Book, the cost of this transmission is more than this vehicle is worth, what is the rest of the vehicle like?

Mealticket

I'm not repairing a car at this point. Was just looking at the bigger picture, which apparently somebody out here has in view. Maybe the guy is pulling them apart in the yard, and if the variators look good, they buy them and do the pump fix, and sell them. Or maybe it's a shop. Also was thinking that in case mine ever explodes, it would be good to have a good set of variators, but it doesn't sound like that is a slam dunk. I'll try to get all the numbers off of this one and see what I can find for info.

MT

Mealticket

So the variators look good from what I can tell. The plate on the unit says A26X13 and 0935, and you can see numbers on the primary variator that says 'No 10375, 07-02-20, 06 55'. The Chrysler sticker on the unit is 04872840AE. Anybody have any reference material that might tell what any of that means?

MT

Mealticket

Well the first tranny I ever fixed, a 41TE, I assembled the input drum after downing most of a fifth of vodka. Apparently I got it right, though I can't remember the actual work too much. LOL - again I just watched a uTube video of a tranny teardown by a guy who's been doing it forever, and of course 'the magnets have a LOT of metal'...Like hardly any; the tranny is on your bench 'cause it don't work. Back in the day when I just went and pulled used units from the yard and plugged them in with fingers crossed, there was WAY more metal on all of them and they worked fine. Why some pros automatically say that is just plain bias. It doesn't mean anything. Now if there's chunks of snap rings and stuff like that, then that's obviously different.

MT

Last edited: