Make
Ford
Model
F150 7700gvw pkg
Year
Miles
230,xxx
Engine
We just recently swapped out the front axle in my friends truck and by the way it's acting I think we got one with wrong gear ratio will the vin# tell what gear ratio it has?

Last edited:
ok on the door jam tag on the bottom of it this is what i find was unable to get pic as i lost phone while plowing today so i gotta type it all out
WB 139,BRK C,INT TR C2, R7,AXLE 26, TR U,SPR D3, OF514 NOA. these are what i found other than vin and tire/wheel sizing

found another page that told me thanks axle code 26 is a 3:55 other question is are both front and rear to be same ratio it would make sense that they would be

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, it seems like they would be the same ratio, but I think I have read that 4X4 often use slightly different. Maybe that (different) is only for off-road use, or not for "full-time" AWD?

If you get stuck on this, I'll contact a friend who will know for sure. I don't want to bother him unduly, he has a busy (4X4) business to run.

its a 200 f-150 7700 gvw pkg. its manual transfer case, vacuum actuated front axle. so it is not full time 4wd or awd. also i was looking on a few other door tag decoding sites and most on the f-150 do not show an axle code 26 they do however on the f-250 one that lists it has it twice say 3:55 or 3:77 not sure what the one we got(front) that was installed is as no tags on it. was advertised as a 3:55 but some one had also written in yellow paint marker 4:10 on it. my buddy just dumped almost $3K into the engine and front end work and can't afford to have the trans go south on him due to wrong gear ratio in one axle

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do both the front and rear diffs have an exposed input yoke? If so, it is easy to just count turns of the yoke and wheels to determine what the ratio is. Start with that, knowing what you have, for sure. If you jack up just one wheel to do this, remember that it will be turning 2X the normal speed.

Do both the front and rear diffs have an exposed input yoke? If so, it is easy to just count turns of the yoke and wheels to determine what the ratio is. Start with that, knowing what you have, for sure. If you jack up just one wheel to do this, remember that it will be turning 2X the normal speed.
i think so what i am seeing is some places do not list axle code 26 for the f-150 and where this is the heavy duty pkg the do list for the f-250 but also list 2 options a 3.55 or a 3.73 on the axle code

You obviously need to identify this axle if it will remain in the truck, however you can easily determine the gear ratios by removing the diff covers and reading the numbers stamped on the gears. Might be tedious, cost a few bucks for gear oil and sealant but you will know for sure what you have and then can possibly i.d. the front axle.

You obviously need to identify this axle if it will remain in the truck, however you can easily determine the gear ratios by removing the diff covers and reading the numbers stamped on the gears. Might be tedious, cost a few bucks for gear oil and sealant but you will know for sure what you have and then can possibly i.d. the front axle.
I guess his plan is to rebuild the old one I think it's just a clip came off on one side where c.v axle bolts on allowing it to be removed from housing but won't know until we take it apart. But on shoestring budget and it takes 75/140 synthetic gear oil in front and it's not cheap

I guess a better description of what it's doing should have been added before but in 4wd going down the road in bad conditions it kinda fights you wants to pull one way then the other so your constantly kinda chasing it in 2wd goes fine it's the only vehicle going in the household at the moment as well as is the plow truck