Kerosene in fuel tank

mjs

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Buick
MODEL:verono
YEAR
:2013
MILES:na
ENGINE
:v-6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Daughter filled her car up with kerosene. I do not know what needs to be done. Any ideas????? thanks...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Drain it out and put in gasoline (I'm assuming this is not a diesel engine). It may take a bit of cranking to purge the kerosene out of the fuel lines, but no harm will be done.

I gotta ask, how did she fill the tank with kerosene, or do you mean she filled it with diesel fuel (pretty much the same thing)?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am a bit confused.

First of all, I do not see any V6's listed ever having been put in this platform.

Also all available engine options are gasoline only, even the 1.6l for the china market is gasoline turbo charged.

No way we are going to see that 1.6l soon on the north american market.

Secondly, I will assume this is a 2.4l as it is the most common. But the same procedure will apply to the 2.0l turbo.

How the diesel/kerosene got in there is quite a mystery. I will avoid my wise a$$ comments on this one.

Since this fuel cell is a contained unit, conventional ways of siphoning won't work.

I have not had the pleasure of working on this platform, but I will also assume there is a anti roll or anti siphoning system in the filler tube. So you best bet is to lower the tank and remove the filler tube and see if the fuel cell has the anti roll incorporated in the filler tube or the actual fuel tank itself. I am betting that the filler tube is your most likely bet for obstruction.

At this point, push shop air through the pressure and return lines will suffice, and also the fuel filter will most likely have a half liter or less in there also.

If you do not have shop air, a hand pump can be bought to siphon the "kerosene".

When I was younger and more foolish, we used to sneak in and siphon gas out of the school buses to keep my buddies old jeep YJ running for free on the school boaords payroll.

Well that adventure stopped when we had siphoned the wrong school bus, it was a diesel, the security guard ran after us for awhile but never caught us. And the jeep sat for awhile outside the gate, we did not make it far, we had loaded the tank with diesel. Bad mistake, but a 2 am in the morning and a few gringos later, we could only laugh at our mistake.

I will provide the PDF's for fuel tank and also for the fuel filler tube removal.

You can use a fuel pressure gauge to relieve pressure and purge the fuel lines.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Remember, this is not a conventional gasoline system.

The fuel pump is located in the engine bay on this model. I am thinking if you can create a vacuum on the fuel feed pipe, you may just have saved the day.

Step 22 of the following PDF will show where I would like for you to use as a siphon point. #3 will most likely be the best bet to get most of that "kerosene" out.

Oh and wait for it, yep, the wise ass comment is stronger than me. I thought gas stations and big flashy stickers were put there to avoid this type of mistake.

Driving 101. DO NOT PUT DIESEL IN A GASOLINE CAR/TRUCK.

And also as Bill said, most likely no damage will have been done. Most likely it will drive like shyte for a few seconds and a check engine light will probably come on, but after a good drive cycle, everything should go back to normal, and plz tell your daughter to heed the neon green stickers.

I am actually amazed the gas station pump nozzle actually fit the gas filler tube. The diameter will not permit a diesel nozzle. This is exactly why they created this difference between the two fuels.

Not my writing, link to follow.

"I stopped at the gas station to fill up my car, which takes regular ol’ unleaded fuel. As I was standing there getting ready to fill up, I grabbed the green, diesel fuel handle by mistake (hadn’t had the full cup of coffee yet). As I went to put the spout into my gas tank, the problem was immediately apparent: it didn’t fit!"

http://www.maderalabs.com/?p=1241

So know I got the wise ass comment out of the way and will laugh because I once saw a lady so frustrated that the nozzle would not fit she actually kick her car. I said "Lady, your at the wrong pump!!" The lady in question actually looked at me like a deer in headlights. I said to her again YOU ARE AT THE WRONG PUMP! My head was asking myself, what planet does she come from. Maybe the anti anxiety pills kicked in. She was a mess.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now, I must give a shout out to a old buddy in quebec city, he tanked a cube truck for all it was worth in gasoline. He could not look at me straight in the face. I asked him, at what point did you realize something was wrong.

He laughed and said two street corners later.

So 100$ or so wasted fuel, a towing bill to boot, and all we could say to each other was I promise I will not tell your boss about this. I billed him for a bad battery and justified the towing on that account. I knew who his boss was. He was or is maybe still is a stingy guy. Knowing that guy, he probably would have docked that off my friends paycheck.:eek:

Luckily it was a GMC cube van with detroit diesel and I was able to put it on with a similar truck which had a 350. Easy as pie to siphon that sucker. While I was doctoring the repair bill, the apprentice asked if he needed to keep cranking on the siphon unit. I said yes, He loaded it to the hilt. I think his biceps grew that morning. :p

End of story, that friend is now happily married and no longer works for that guy. I like this old buddy, I miss him, we used to burn pallets to get warm.

He actually snapped my thumb. He told me he was not good with a sledge hammer, me being the idiot I am, I said I will hold the crowbar AND DON'T FREAKIN MISS. Lo and behold, he missed. My thumb went sideways. Ouch is an understatement.

Last edited:

mjs

Drain it out and put in gasoline (I'm assuming this is not a diesel engine). It may take a bit of cranking to purge the kerosene out of the fuel lines, but no harm will be done.

I gotta ask, how did she fill the tank with kerosene, or do you mean she filled it with diesel fuel (pretty much the same thing)?
She told me it was next to the fuel pumps an never paid attention.

kev2

wrench
X2 - Agree with Billr - remove fuel*, operate vehicle address and post issues IF they arise.

*whatever it is.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok guy's, now it is me asking the question. I did write to flush the fuel filter. But I cannot seem to find it. I will assume there must be a filter somewhere, I just can't find it for this direct injection high pressure fuel pump system.

I did work on a few Lacrosse's with this noisy fuel pump and solution was a noise suppressor kit that came with the TSB.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, or have now been the not doing my research well.

But I would again assume, that even this being a single pump GDI pump, it must have a filter.

Well, any way, I hope the mistake will be a low cost issue. Sorry for my long post this morning. I got carried away with old memories.

kev2

wrench
many newer vehicles esp GM do not have a remote filter - just the 'sock' -

mjs

should i use high octane fuel or regular????? when I put gas back in.Also it is a flex fuel car.

kev2

wrench
regular, lets see how it runs, long run time will assure eng and cat gets good and hot...

mjs

Remember, this is not a conventional gasoline system.

The fuel pump is located in the engine bay on this model. I am thinking if you can create a vacuum on the fuel feed pipe, you may just have saved the day.

Step 22 of the following PDF will show where I would like for you to use as a siphon point. #3 will most likely be the best bet to get most of that "kerosene" out.

Oh and wait for it, yep, the wise ass comment is stronger than me. I thought gas stations and big flashy stickers were put there to avoid this type of mistake.

Driving 101. DO NOT PUT DIESEL IN A GASOLINE CAR/TRUCK.

And also as Bill said, most likely no damage will have been done. Most likely it will drive like shyte for a few seconds and a check engine light will probably come on, but after a good drive cycle, everything should go back to normal, and plz tell your daughter to heed the neon green stickers.

I am actually amazed the gas station pump nozzle actually fit the gas filler tube. The diameter will not permit a diesel nozzle. This is exactly why they created this difference between the two fuels.

Not my writing, link to follow.

"I stopped at the gas station to fill up my car, which takes regular ol’ unleaded fuel. As I was standing there getting ready to fill up, I grabbed the green, diesel fuel handle by mistake (hadn’t had the full cup of coffee yet). As I went to put the spout into my gas tank, the problem was immediately apparent: it didn’t fit!"

http://www.maderalabs.com/?p=1241

So know I got the wise ass comment out of the way and will laugh because I once saw a lady so frustrated that the nozzle would not fit she actually kick her car. I said "Lady, your at the wrong pump!!" The lady in question actually looked at me like a deer in headlights. I said to her again YOU ARE AT THE WRONG PUMP! My head was asking myself, what planet does she come from. Maybe the anti anxiety pills kicked in. She was a mess.
will this work if I disconnect at step 4????

mjs

Yeah Kev, this seems to be the trend across the board.

@mjs, yes I think that if you are referring the ACE pdf # 6, that should be a viable siphon point.
Thank you. And also does this have a mechanical fuel pump or electric??