late 80's early 90's rangers and explorers

hymer

Are things pretty much interchangable on these tow vehicles. drive train wise? I just picked up a trail runner 87 ranger, and I think it has explorer axels ect under it. I also have a early explorer for parts, and everthing seens to be about the same , minus a few things] Are the explorer parts beefyer or is that a myth? Just curious..

Jim Davis

What I have personally seen on these is there is a difference between axles on 2wd and 4wd (on the rears) of the small pickups, and even in the same year models you will run into different brake shoe sizes. Difference in Explorer seemed to use more of the 4.0 engines, trucks used 4cyl and 2.6. 3.0 and4.l engines.

hymer

Ok, thats pretty much what I've found also, The exploder has a 4.0 and my ranger runs a 2.9 , but I am mainly wanting the axel shafts, carriers act.. I pulled the short shaft on sat [darn rock took out the one in the ranger] , ad it fit great, brakes all seemed to be he same. the only difference was the auto hubs on the exploder. I ont need or want them so the point is moot I guess. From what Iv'e read the later explorers have a 31 splined shaft as oppesed to a 28 spline in the rangers, Mine fit fine so I guess there is no worries.... thanks for he input!