Launch or Autel?

jigfeett

Been thinking about another scan tool.
Launch x431 v and Autel MS908 are ones I've been reviewing because my Matco determinator ( otc genisys) stops at 2012 and I am not going to upgrade it.
Any of you guys have experience with Launch or Autel? These are all in the 1K range for price and I'm good with that also I don't really need the pass through to do full on programming but I like the bi directionals that are offered and there is some programming. I like the option of key programming but don't know if either one will pull a pin for chrysler dodge junk. Does any one know what tool will pull a dodge pin code for keys?
Any thoughts? Opinions? all accepted freely...
Thanks

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In the launch dept, I can't help much cuz I hated it from the first release more than a decade ago.

I like autel, it just seems better suited for rough abuse than the launch. I also have used the newer version launch, it seemed slower even though it had android 7.1.

I also think the unit is flimsy and to hard cased. It feels like there is just another smart phone embroidered with a hard case I could buy at my local cell phone store.

I find it slow, probably due to it being slower than the autel. I think the launch cpu quad core is 1.27ghz, while even the slowest autel runs at 1.4ghz quad core.

Again, beware, some of the launches boast 1.3ghz, but on a 5.1 android os. Others may even be counterfeiter.

Last, but not least, since so many shops have been using widely the autel against the launch, many good deals to be had for a few bones on a older 908.

I dropped a launch, the corner cracked, my personal autel I can bounce off the ground and it basically almost bounces back in my hand.

Like I wrote before. I would rather spend a few bones more to get better coverage, sturdy and quicker hardware.

And from what I know, neither of the scan tools you are looking for will get key codes just like that, you need a locksmith agreement for that. If this is your main concern, google this. http://www.sopl.us/blog/aloa-locksmith-key-code-registry-bypassed-vin-to-code-software

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, yes both will do key programming, getting the code is the problem, not the tools problem.

If money is not so much of an option, I would go autel. But the updates are more expensive because the autel actually does more vehicles. But if your only doing usa cars, no big deal. Where I live, we get alot of bizarre cars, diesels and such, and every update I get from autel works, or they support in the very near futur. I also like the community aspect of it, since more ppl use it.

The launch sells its thing as being like a cell phone, and it is. DO I need my autel scanner to text and call and look like a phone? No, I don't. I want something that is robust. I have been using these scanners for years now, have not seen one back in for service, unless you drop a car on it.

We have three at our shop right now, we won't even consider the launch.

So, that was my $.02, and no, I don't work for autel, I just like thier stuff. Ezxcept for the scope included in the elite kits we have at work. My personal one, the third ne I wrote about above is my own. Bought for 500$ with a 2017 update.

My boss updated it for me this last month, so I am good, battery is still good and showing no sign yet of being a problem.

The unit and all attachements are still very usable for a 5yr old kit. The launch, in my opinion, very dubious if mishandled. As I said, I dropped one, corner broke right off. Good thing it was a demo, dude wanted us to to swap, so I just dropped it. :D

Yeah. My $.02

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have an old autoboss hanging out at my house now, it also is only up to date to 2012. But I sure as heck like it more than any launch you can or could have thrown at me back in the day.

But I could go on and on on stuff like this, it is a hobby and my day job. So if you have any other questions, I will try to not be so biased on the launch, but I don't like the baud rate/cpu speed and it just has a fragile feel to it that the autel instinctively has.

Also, the new autels have a six core. SO that also is something to look at for productivity. Sometimes cheeping on hardware cost time. Time is money. You know the rest.

Awesome thank you, I've never been impressed with Launch as far as looks but never had a chance to hold one. I have a buddy that has an Autel 808 the $500 version but I will be going for the 9 series but just need to do a little more research. Also I found and heard about a laptop unit " Autoenginuity" ? I think that was it and looks like you have a buy a package for each type of vehicle at @250 each, nuts N bolts if you want to work on only GM the its $250 for the base package and another 250 for GM so for about $500 you get one manufacturer. Oh well I guess I figure something out but probably not soon.
As always I appreciate the information and you are a wealth of information.......
Thank you

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, you may want to look into the MP808. It has the same software as the 908. But it is not as good since the hardware is stripped down. But, again, it has same software. Entry price is about 640$ canadian + tax. But it is not BT, I believe, and I think they don't have a BT dongle for that, but I could be wrong.

It has a 4core a9 cpu, so a bit slower. Also, the battery last less than half the 908. But, if your not running ashop, this does the basics a pro 908 does in regards to bi directional stuff and key fobs etc. Pretty much same robust construction as I can see from pics. I like rubber on a scan tool. Bouncy!!;) It does also update via wifi. Also has cloud community to access real fix database, huge advantage for those hard to pinpoint troubles. Sometimes, you can browse the community and find a similar repair that fits your symptoms and how another tech fixed it. Kind of like using mitchel on demand, or direct hit, etc.

Here is a link to that one. Maybe you can find cheaper in USA. https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MP808-...808&qid=1575331054&smid=A3MNQOSQ336D3K&sr=8-2

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am doing a bit of research for you, at same time, hammering home to myself why I think autel is best in price vs functionality. Here is a link to a beefier version of the launch 431. It is called "throttle"

It has an 8 core cpu, has all the goodies a elite or pro 908, but look at the price tag!!:eek: 4800$ CAD. But the add on interfaces are horrendous in price. And some don't work with this unit. Confusing to say the least. Anyway, if they do support the pricey add ons, no mention anywhere that it does. Here is more links, try to find a throttle unit that says it supports the scope box and j box.

https://canadaautosolutions.com/products/launch-x-431-throttle

https://canadaautosolutions.com/collections/diagnostic-tools

We have an elite at work, with the docking station and the j2534 and the scope box (BTW, don't like it, but hey, it was free in the box, and it cost 3k$ with 2yrs update)

Browsed the launch site, no mention anywhere the unit is capable of j2534 protocol, the j2534 unit is 2000+$ and seems to be stand alone. No mention either of scope support, scopebox mentions it works only with the Pad2, not the 431 series, and that box is also 2000ish$$

SO lets say you want all the capabilities of an elite unit from autel, math is as follows, 4.8g for throttle unit, 2g for j2534 unit, another 2g for scope"box". That is 8.8grand. :eek: not including taxes.

The x431 pad2 version, on sale now for 2895$ has the scope box software, but you still have to by it ( the "box). SO that comes up to close to 5gs. Still no mention of J2534 capability. And yes, I read pretty good english for a french guy, still can't see that.

Ok, I am done. I also read alot of reviews, some are good, and as some reviewers commented, probably the good ones were site generated. Reading the bad reviews got a pretty good picture. Some say even the english versions are badly transalted, which would completly irate me as I am already in some difficulties sometimes being french (french version is apparently even worse:oops:o_O:giveup:), I really don't need or want a chinese version that was google translated by some lazy Shen zhen factory floor worker.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Mind you, every scan tool has limitations, but honestly, the autel just seems to be the favorite cuz of its wide coverage.

I must also stress, this is only my opinion. They are like arseholes, everyone has one. :D

But I have been working with these units for awhile now, not one has given up on me yet, only thing I have broken on a unit, was the obd2 dongle interface, shut a car door on it. Obviously, not the tools fault. That cost 30$, some no big deal. Was able to use another dongle from another unit and it paired up fine whilst waiting for the replacement.

Ok, out, hope I gave you a few options. I think the MP808 may be good for you, but again, I don't really know what you will be doing with it. If you want to reflash, you will need to invest at least for a 906 version. The scope box on those are 600ish$, vs 2g. The j-box is similar in price.

Other thing, no mention of ADAS on "low end" versions of the 431. Autel has that in software bundle even for the base 908 I got for 5bones.

BTW, here is a pic of that autoboss unit I want to give away. This thing was great back in the day for beemers, VW, audi, porsche and mostly mercedes. Nothing beat it. It was the equivalent if not, very close to what the dealers were using back then. Hah, printer still works, even have extra rolls of paper. Coding was a concept alot of ppl had a hard time wrapping their head around on. But with this, opened uo alot of stuff clients didn't even know existed in their cars. 20191202_201910.jpg 20191202_201943.jpg 20191202_202005.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As for autenginuity, the pro line starts at 1200$ but no europe coverage. For that bundle 1500$. The j-box for them, is 1780$

From experience, have used this, and also other dongles. Read the fine print. Here is a copy paste of site.

Something we offer that the others don’t:

• Bi-directional support. You have the ability to initiate system and component tests.2
  • Mode 6 support. If a system test fails, now you can see the results from the failing component; not just the system.
  • Our Mode 6 data is fully translated so you don't have to waste hours looking the scale and definitions.2
  • Mode 9 support. Full ECM information including CAL, CVN, and VIN reporting.
  • KWP2000 support and CAN (optional) support.1
  • Support for the new extended sensor list (see below) that's 83 sensors--now with 2005 sensor list!
  • Wide-band O2 sensor support.2
  • Wireless (optional) and touch screen-enabled for tablet PC's.
  • Most importantly—ALL THREE vehicle interfaces in one. This is a savings of hundreds of dollars over the competitors' units.
1 CAN support is an optional daughter board expansion for our OBDII connector. CAN is used in 2004 Ford, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar, and is the required electrical interface for passenger vehicles starting in the 2008 model year.

2 Support for this feature is vehicle dependant.

Yellow highlight is me. It is very limited. Stay away. Better to spend a few bones more for real bi directional and not have your laptop always exposed to shop environment. Unless you buy a army grade laptop such as a panasonic tuff pad like in cop cars or the army same make laptop. The tuff book.

One of the above is my nest move, have swapped two hard drives in my laptop at work due to dust and grime. I wanted to invest in a ssd drive, but now, the laptop is so grimy, might as well upgrade.

I probably will go for the glove touch. Just need to find one on ebay that actually justifies the cost vs up keep. Also, can get maybe an i7 motherboard and maybe fits right in there for 150$. A tuff case is maybe 500$ with a few blown parts. Anyway, back to my hobby aspect. Since it is a soldered socket, research is key here. But those things are darn near indestructible unless you drive over it with a plumbing truck full of plumbing stuff. I WANT one of these for christmas.

Now, really got to go. I actually work for a living. :cool: I love this site, a bunch of blue collar car guys helping each other out. Great stuff you don't see much of now days.

Launch is out for me, a friend has a 808 that I am going to barrow and check a few things out so that will get me some hands on to see what it can do. His wifey bought it for him last year, what a nice gal. I will update as I can.
Thank you again you are a knowledgeable person and I certainly your help with all these forums.

Used the MK808 last night and it is a nice little tool but didn't seem to do a lot, kind of limited but nice for what it costs. I'll be looking to the 908 but my question is the J2534 box. I use nexiq usb link 2 daily on heavy duty class 8.
I believe the J2534 is a must if I want to program anything? If I have a module like hvac bcm etc. I will need the J box?