cw41

Make
Chevrolet
Model
Silverado 1500 2wd
Year
Miles
Engine
While I was servicing the trans on my 2003, I noticed that I've developed a leak around the rack and pinion shaft area seeping down to the driver side boot. Is there a quality rebuilt unit or new that you guys would recommend? Several years back I helped a friend on a 2007 silverado and went through two of them because they leaked worse than the original. The third was an a c delco reman and it worked but he soon got rid of the truck so no telling for how long??
I see there is a seal kit available but never done one myself but I feel I'm capable.
Thanks for any comments.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Try this one.

Except its for a 2500. But try to peruse the site, may find a kit for the 1500 but my head says it may be interchangeable cuz if it was a HD, we would be talking steering BOX right now. But I aint gonna do all the work for ya. ;) ;) Just jostling, I always try to help the guys here to the best of my best intentions even is I post britany spears vids once in a while. :eek:

As for the rest of your post, reman units have always been touch and go since mom and pop shops all but disintegrated with time and globalization etc etc yadayada.

At least they are local delivery, at least to me, one in Toronto and one in edmonton. Better than getting from china right now. I ordered a part in febuary for my pc from sheshuan (or something to that effect), got it TODAY. Yikes.

Find a teardown is near impossible, but with a few snap ring pliers and some ingenuity, should be a no brainer for a guy like you.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Videos like these are good to watch, they give you an idea of tooling involved and some knowledge. Racks are pretty much all the same, even if they are electric, the basics remain the same.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I also saw this kit does have a instruction booklet or pamphelt of where each seal goes. The kit is 30$ CAD, so for you, cheaper, may pay more for shipping though.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you guys have a great 4th of july.

cw41

I also saw this kit does have a instruction booklet or pamphelt of where each seal goes. The kit is 30$ CAD, so for you, cheaper, may pay more for shipping though.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you guys have a great 4th of july.
thanks nickb2, have a safe 4th as well. I see wednesday 1st was canada day hope you had the day off!! My limited experience with rack and pinions has been just to change the unit but with remans out there I've had issues. Cardone make a new unit for 300.00us so that might be an option. I might try that seal kit don't see why I couldn't do it. and no front end align if I rebuild mine. Unscrew the inner/outer tie rods off each end together and do it.