Lets Talk Scanners

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
sometimes, we overlook this china stuff. Never forget, alot of the best scanners out there are al china based anyway.This link is most likely a clone, be iffy about the LIFETIME upgrade, but this is about 250$ cdn.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In my opinion, and opinions are like arseholes, every one has one, is never base a scanner on price. You will end up loosing in long run.

But if price is your goal, be ready for glitches, and patching the damn thing all the time.

But when you do get the hang of these cheap clone things, they are amazing, till some cheap part freezes in the pdb and then the nice scanner 250$ just turned into a nice paper weight.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@250$. nice entry level stuff, if you dont abuse it, may get many yrs out of it. So something to not overlook.

I love these clone knock offs, they copy sweet software, only thing is, hardware is cheap as heck, so knowing this, and you know you dont make a living off it, why not try it. You can learn ecu coding and stuff like that.

I even found a way to overclock one of these gadgets, but the ARM structure didnt like that. LOL. Cooked another one. :eek:

Alot of the guys here know me a bit. I kind of push things to limits.

But if you ask me to recommend a snap on virus type deal. aint doing to do it. Just a overpriced glorified windows tablet.

Better off with a android platform that is actually more stable than the windows platform I have used.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
now, I am going to go on a tangent since it is 7 am in quebec, waiting for snowstorm, said to be about 20-30cm of snow, so backs beware, bring out the shovels.

oh and dont forget, heart attacks happen most when shoveling wet snow. That is a scientific fact.

Another scientific fact is, you cant push a baud rate through a cheap ARM structure.

Some may ask, what is a ARM. No, I am not talking about your arms, I am trying to talk about micro processors/

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So if some cheap scammer can mimic that, why not, but when you push it, good to know if it is embedded.

There is a old saying, you get what you pay for.

Sadly, that no longer applies.

The scanner industry just went with upgrade and we will make money, f the hardware, they will buy it anyways.

Kind of like that kevin costner movie, build it, they will come, type deal.

Scanners are more and more like cell phones, built to go fast, also built to die fast.

This is called planned obsolescence.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
One of the most overlooked things in somewhat good scanners is the actual cpu.

You can have the best software on board, if the cpu cant push the data fast enough, it is useless for a guy like me trying to catch a glitch.

That is why I link to that china stuff.

Most ppl dont know, but alot of this stuff is ELM based.

ELM is just a language, has nothing to do with quality.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
SO, do you want a 250 $ cheap dual core that cant push the data fast enough, or do you just want a code reader that can read abs and srs codes and such. Sure a dual core will do, but when you get into this stuff, you then want to plug an periscope to it. You want to ding the thing. Thats where you just understood why you under paid for a product.

Try to always go quad core. Data bayd rate is more comprehensive than with a cheap ARM structure of 5 yrs ago.

Never forget, the automotive industry is the most evolving one, even more than nasa and boeing combined.