Lincoln LS not running right

Chuck

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Lincoln
MODEL: LS
YEAR
:2001
MILES: 150,000
ENGINE
:3.8 V8
DESCRIBE ISSUE....It runs a little rough when cold. But get worse as it warms up. will only Accelerate if very gradually press pedal and will run rough if at a low rpm (below 1500), but runs fairly smooth at the higher rpms.. Put it on A diagnostic and codes P0302-p0308 cylinder misfires 2-8. and code PO171 system Lean (Bank 1). And PO153 O2 circuit slow response. Any help would be great. Thanks.

kev2

wrench
do you have a scanner that shows live data- ECT, FT's, o2 voltages, MAP etc?

knee jerk reaction-
BASICS - check fuel pressure, Then with KOEO observe pressure bleed off, also check for a vacuum leak.

Chuck

Yes I do have a scanner that I can get live feed with. What do I need to look for? Could it be a bad fuel pressure sensor? The fuel pump is new.

Chuck

knee jerk reaction-
BASICS - check fuel pressure, Then with KOEO observe pressure bleed off, also check for a vacuum leak.
Yes. I do have a scanner with live feed. What do I need to look for? Could it be a bad fuel pressure sensor?

kev2

wrench
look at - ECT, FT's, o2 voltages, MAP etc?

FT fuel trim would be a start, MAP

billr

wrench
Staff member
There should be IAT as well as ECT, and those should read about the same as each other and the same as ambient after the engine has cooled off (like over-night). Then see if the ECT comes up to about 190-210F once the engine is heated up.

Chuck

There should be IAT as well as ECT, and those should read about the same as each other and the same as ambient after the engine has cooled off (like over-night). Then see if the ECT comes up to about 190-210F once the engine is heated up.
Sorry this is taking so long. Got swamped at work. Will find out tonight or early tomorrow.

Chuck

The only thing that comes up is a P1000 code. OBD System Readiness test not complete. What does that mean?

P1000 FORD - On Board Diagnostic System Readiness Test Not Complete

Possible causes
- The vehicle is new from the factory.
- Battery or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) had recently been disconnected.
- An OBD monitor failure occurred before completion of an OBD drive cycle.
- PCM Detected Trouble Codes (DTC) have recently been cleared with a scan tool.
What does this mean?

Tech notes
This code just means that the PCM didn't complete a full diagnose cycle, and is set when the battery have been disconnected, codes have been cleared or sometimes even when the vehicle have been towed. No scanner it's necessary to clear the code, driving the vehicle for a few minutes (sometimes more) to complete the diagnose cycle will clear the code. Clearing the code will reset the light unless other codes present.
What does this mean?

When is the code detected?
If DTC P1000 is triggered after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles have not been cleared.
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Chuck

knee jerk reaction-
ECT 88 Celsius, IAT 37 Celsius, O2 B1 S1 volts are 0.2-0.6, O2 B1 S1 volts 0.1-0.9, O2 B2 S1 volts 0.1-0.9, O2 B2 S1 volts 0.3-0.78, O2 B2 S2 volts 0.1-0.8.

88 Celsius = 190.4 Fahrenheit. 37 Celsius = 98.6 Fahrenheit (healthy humanoid). Billr has asked about "IAT as well as ECT, those should read about the same as each other and the same as ambient after the engine has cooled off (like over-night)." Did you check those sensors after a good long rest? (cold motor)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My $.02, since I am insomniac. $.02

To pass drive cycles on these models, especially when after clearing codes and not doing a proper drive cycle, that is the only way a P1000 will come about.

Also, I am not seeing a 3.8 for a 2001 lincoln LS. So I will assume that was a typo and presume it is a 3.9l v8 with vin # "A".

I would disregard this code as just a drive cycle not completed, and since the other codes have not reappeared, the repairs were successful but readiness/drive cycle was not done properly.

Use this link to try to find why the P1000 drive cycle is not working for you.

I hope you will find what you are looking for here.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html