Location of Crankshaft Position Sensor on 2000 Metro...

Pete

Hi again folks!
I've got a lady who's car stalled. I had a friend run a scan and it seems that the Crankshaft Sensor is kicking out a code on this 2000 Chevy Metro sedan with a 4 cyl. engine and 106K on it.
My question is where is this sensor on this car?
Thanks so much and God bless your week!!
Peter

Paul

I'm The Decider
Just behind the crank pulley,in the oil pan.It should be up high enough to where only a small amount of oil is lost,but check it out first before you remove the CKP sensor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1.3L? anyway both same location
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Bottom of the engine, mounted to the engine, near the crankshaft pulley

thats the description BUT the picture shows it between 2oil pan bolts...front of vehicle on the Right/passsenger side

Pete

Got a bit of a problem with this car. I don't think it's a bad sensor as I replaced it and it still doesn't start. The reason I thought it was that in the first place as I scanned it and it kicked out a code PO335 Mod $00 2/2 Crankshaft Position Senso A Circuit Malfunction AND
The first one listed was PO113 Mod$00 1/2 IAT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input.
Just bought this scanner and I have no idea what any of this means or where to start with this no-start condition.
The lady told me it just died.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?
I'd be most grateful.
Thanks so much and God bless!!!!
Peter

no remote starter, the security light ( if applicable ) is not on... vehicle stock
ENGINE does crank?? Have you checked for -spark- fuel-?

p0113
Diagnostic Aids
Check for any of the following conditions:

A faulty electrical connection to the PCM.
Use the Temperature vs Resistance table in order to check the IAT sensor at various temperature levels, and evaluate the possibility of a shifted sensor. A shifted sensor could result in a driveability complaint. Refer to Temperature vs Resistance .
If DTCs P0108, P0113, P0118, and P0123 are set together, the cause could be an open ground circuit.
A short to voltage in the IAT sensor signal circuit may cause DTC P0113 to set.
An intermittent malfunction may be caused by a fault in the IAT sensor electrical circuit. Inspect the wiring harness and the components for any of the following conditions:

Backed out terminals.
Incorrect mating of terminals.
Broken electrical connector locks.
Incorrectly formed terminals or damaged terminals.
Faulty terminal-to-wire connections.
Physical damage to the wiring harness.
A broken wire inside the insulation.
Corrosion of electrical connections, of splices, or of terminals.
If DTC P0113 cannot be duplicated, the Freeze Frame data can be useful in determining the vehicle operating conditions when the DTC first set.

p0335

Diagnostic Aids
Remove the CKP from the vehicle. Connect a DMM to the CKP electrical terminals. Tap gently on the magnetic end of the CKP sensor with the metal shaft of a screw driver. Observe the ohms scale on the DMM. The DMM should switch from 360-460 ohms to infinity and from infinity back to 360-460 ohms. The temperature affects the CKP sensor performance. Verify the sensor's operation and internal resistance at various temperatures. Check the wiring harness that is covering the CKP sensor electrical connectors for water intrusion. Water causes an intermittent loss of the CKP sensor signal. Check the CKP sensor signal rotor for foreign material or for damaged teeth. A leak in the CKP sensor circuit shielding will cause DTC P0335 to set. Check that the CKP sensor circuit for a correct shield and for the drain wire has a good ground. The PCM depends on the CKP sensor for engine reference. If the PCM does not receive a CMP signal for 2 seconds, there will not be a reliable spark or a fuel injector pulse. A short to ground in the CKP reference low circuit causes a faulty reference signal to the PCM. This condition will not set a CKP sensor DTC P0335.

A fault in the CKP sensor electrical circuit will cause an intermittent malfunction. Inspect the wiring harness and the components for any of the following conditions:

Backed out terminals
Incorrect mating of terminals
Broken electrical connector locks
Deformed terminals or damaged terminals
A faulty terminal to wire connections
Physical damage to the wiring harness
A broken wire inside the insulation
Use the information included in the Freeze Frame data, if you cannot duplicate the DTC P0335.

Pete

Thanks Kev2 for the info although most of it is over my head. Not quite sure how to use the scan tool other than read and erase codes as of yet. Also, I struggle when it comes to the electrics of a car.
Yup, checked for spark and fuel. No spark. I'm going to assume there is a no fuel condition WHEN CRANKING but there is fuel when I turn the ignition on.
Can the IAT cause a no-start condition?

I would work the p0335 code first... Again there is no lights "security" or remote starter??

you have not posted which engine 1.0L or 1.3L

lets go simple step by step...
Clear codes try to restart....check spark at several plugs...advise if CEL/SES returns AND post codes

Pete

Thanks again kev2.
No, no remote starter or security on this car. All OEM, non-modified.
Sorry, I thought there was only one engine size on this 4 cylinder. It's the 1.3L.
I only checked for spark at one plug. Will do the rest.
So sorry for my ignorance and thanks for walking me thru this.
I'll post back later today with what I find.
God bless,
Peter

Pete

Ok, I was able to clear the codes and recreate the Crank Sensor Code P0335. Still no spark.
I noticed that the rotor is waaaaaaaay off to one side and that the sensor itself is centered. Is the rotor supposed to be on center with the sensor or is it supposed to be off to one side of the hole. This could be the problem.
I checked the wiring and found low voltage going to the harness when the ignition is on and also when cranking.
I'm stuck at this point. Both sensors are between the posted resistance.
Please help!
God bless!
Peter

will cpme peace meal step by step- I have access only at work and they expect me doing more :ROFL will get you there...

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the CKP sensor connector.
Measure the resistance of the CKP sensor with a DMM. =digital multi mlter
Is the resistance within the specified value?
360-460 ohms at 20°C (68°F)

Pete

Yup, checked that only that the temp wasn't 68. It was more like 35 and I got readings on both sensors in the 390-400 range.
Thanks kev2!

Pete

Ooops, I see now that it was the connector and not the sensors(old & new sensor). Ok, I'll have to get back to ya on that one.
Sorry. (told ya I'm not the genius when it comes to electrical stuff)