Lookin for good way to remove caulking

eddieguy

Im removing old caulking to apply new caulking on my moms fiberglass tub/shower and talk about a tedious job. I have tried products such as goof off & goo gone. Goo gone has helped a little.

Found out that a hair dryer was not the way to go when I seen it melt my plastic putty knife and I'm not even talking about a heat gun just a putty knife. If it was a metal tub and ceramic tile I might would go that route.

So I guess I'm here asking has anybody come across an effective solution that would really help speed up the process or is this just naturally a long tedious job

paulo57509

It's worse than scraping gaskets. We assume you're talking about silicone caulk?

I seen someone use a Ryobi multi-tool with a wide scraper blade attached to it. The blade was attached with the clearance angle facing the work surface. Found an example:

Last edited:

eddieguy

It's worse than scraping gaskets. We assume you're talking about silicone caulk?

I seen someone use a Ryobi multi-tool with a wide scraper blade attached to it. The blade was attached with the clearance angle facing the work surface. Found an example:
Yes silicone. Maybe il invest in one of those multi function power tools like in the video you posted because i have had situations where i think it would come in handy.

That video answered a question that I had thought of and the fact that it would not be too abrasive because it uses vibration that would be a help to me maybe I will go that route with the multi-tool

billr

wrench
Staff member
If you put a paper towel, soaked with gasoline, over the silicone it will get very soft. You probably have to leave the gasoline on for an hour or two. Maybe acetone or MEK would work, too, but gasoline is cheaper and I know it works. Maybe a paint stripping compound with methylene chloride in it?

Or, use a big soldering iron or soldering gun and dig it into the silicone. Dig the tip into the silicone quickly, don't go deep enough or leave it in one place long enough to damage the fiberglass tub.

paulo57509

Permatex used to market a silicone gasket remover. IMO, it was just paint stripper in a spray can.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Idk know, heat gun and finger nail works

depends on how long the stuff been there and what nasty stuff is left

Last edited: