looking for a follow up.

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: GM/CHEVY
MODEL: astro/ safari
YEAR:
MILES: many many
ENGINE: 4.3
DESCRIBE ISSUE....

Long ago - Michigan I think - Someone used a o2 sensor eliminator to deal with a p0420 or p0430 on a beater vehicle - not worth a cat investment - I was looking for a follow up...

Something along that idea - I do not remember the brand - just wanting to know long term how it performed...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I remember a thread a LONG time ago about a guy who wanted to install one. Don't know how that fared out for him. Sorry.

The idea behind the gimmick seems logical, tricking the ecu. Don't think it will pass a smog test though. Highly doubt it anyway. Maybe someone here has installed one before and can tell us if he magically passed smog!:eek:

it will pass basic emission test - not sure about sniff analyzer type test ie calif draconian testing - wanting to see if he could update me (us) .

do you test in all of Canada - and which test ? Thinking all that nice clean cold air would make it unnecessary... BUT I think its unnecessary anyway...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
To answer your question, I copied and pasted this for you Kev.

Emission testing programs in Canada include AirCare in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia and Ontario's Drive Clean in southern Ontario only. The provinces of New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island require annual safety inspections, in Nova Scotia, a safety inspection is required every two years. Ontario and British Columbia require biennial emission testing, although only the Lower Mainland of B.C., which includes the City of Vancouver, and the southern part of Ontario, require any testing. The rest of the province is without such legislation.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So in essence two provinces emission test but only the lower portions of the provinces where the population is dense.

Quebec has no safety inspections or emission inspections. The only case where a safety inspection is needed up here is if the vehicle comes from another province or country or if the vehicle has not had registered plates for over four yrs. However, you can get around this by paying a small fee for a storage sticker. That way it stays registered without paying the plates.

So for example, if you plan on restoring a car, and it takes 5yrs to do so, better get the storage sticker. You will save a few hundred that way.

As for the emission tests themselves, usually only OBD2 based but depending on car, some may get the nozzle/tailpipe test in ontario or bc, something like a pre OBD2/carb or hot rods or tuner cars for example. Diesels get the opacity/smoke density test.

from here
https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-clean-test

Test types
Depending on the vehicle, the test could involve:

• an on-board diagnostic (OBD) test (reads emissions information from the vehicle’s computer)
  • a tailpipe test (measures tailpipe emissions)
  • an opacity test (measures smoke density in diesel-fuelled vehicles)

95% passed so the California logic would be the specs are too lenient - no wonder I want to know this answer, o2 simulators.

cheat neat - don't get caught - I think that was Richard Petty in the days of real nascar.

Gus

wrench
All the gimmick does, is fool the ECM/PCM as far as O2 readings go, and keeps the P0420 from setting......if you have the exhaust gases tested for emissions, then it will fail, because the cat is no good....

Gus: many of the emissions test do NOT sniff the exhaust - they interrogate the PCM , codes, monitors, and confirm CEL operates.
The sniffing is what I call draconian, If they are sniffing WTF is all that OBD for?
No surprise I hate testing - another make money feel good regulation - a burden on us all.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The visual inspection usually comes before even sniffing, if that thingy is there then you will fail. Worse, at least here in Calif., is that it will be tagged as "tampered with" and you have to go though additional punitive hoops. Bottom line: if you have emissions testing then that cheat is worthless, if you don't have testing, then it will only save you from having the CEL come on. A piece of tape over the CEL is more practical...

Kev2, I gotta ask... is there a specific problem or application here? PM me if you don't want to discuss in public.

Bill I know you are in California with the draconian inspection - something like a British MOT.....

BUT there is NO visual.... when there was NO post cat sensors they would slide a mirror under vehicle just to see a cat was there not even open hood.
Pull vehicle into inspection area (work bay) - look at cel light (on or off) - plug in scanner (does it communicate)- check P codes (any) , check monitors* , command CEL on (does it light up yes no)- done.

Even if you did glance at CAT it would look like a o2 sensor... You are thinking of the California cat part # verification- gives me chills.

* some areas as many as 2 may be not ready