Malibu 2004

121K, Malibu 2004, V6.
I feel vibration on the steering wheel. This happends when I push the brakes at speeds of 60mph. Vibrations come from the driver side. Took the rotor out and had it resurface. No change. Brake pads are new.

Thanks for any input on this question in advance.

Gus

wrench
Did you whizz the mating surface of the hub before installing the rotor?

How were the pads? Thickness may have been ok, but were they worn at an angle?

Torque the lug nuts?

Also, like Danica says, don't do half a brake job......now you may have created an unequal braking situation, from one side to the other......

I will do the other side as well. Pads look fine. Brand new. Worn out evenly. I clean the wheel hub. Is this car known for this type of problem..I let you know tomorrow how it goes...

Thanks, for all your help.

JR

This car is NOT known for this type or problem any more than any other cars. It is a fairly common problem for all cars and can be related to wheels, tires, bearings, drive shafts but most likely the brakes. You are probably on the right track. It is usually warped discs.

If it wasn't for that steering rack and tie rods, with a lesser extent to the stabilizer bar connecting the two wheels together. Would be a lot easier to determine if that vibration was coming from the left or right hand side. But really can't recommend test driving with both tie rods removed.

Seen vehicles with one frozen caliper where only the inside pad of one wheel is worn, in theory at least, only that one pad needs to be replaced. But you can't buy just that one pad, have to buy all four. Do you think they are trying to say something?

What really tees me off is to have one tire blown in warranty, will only replace that one tire. End up buying a new tire on the other side as well, have some leeway between front and back, but those two tires on the left and right side of the vehicle, whether the front or the back have to be identical in all aspects.

If you don't, can end up with excessive differential wear, a burnt out limited slip, or worst yet, a major skid to the left or right hitting a tree or something if you have to make an emergency stop. Everything has got to be equal.

What really tees me off is to have one tire blown in warranty, will only replace that one tire. End up buying a new tire on the other side as well, have some leeway between front and back, but those two tires on the left and right side of the vehicle, whether the front or the back have to be identical in all aspects.

If you don't, can end up with excessive differential wear, a burnt out limited slip, or worst yet, a major skid to the left or right hitting a tree or something if you have to make an emergency stop. Everything has got to be equal.
[/quote]

always has nick.getting back to the op,its quite likely warped rotors.i wouldnt even bother resurfacing them.just replace them.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Dial gauges are great!! With a magnetic base!! Many around for cheap, see here-> http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G9849-Magnetic-Indicator-Combo/dp/B0000DD0VA