Mercury Mariner DTCs

bruiser

My son has an '05 Mercury Mariner with the V6. The service engine light came on, and the info center says "check emissions system". I hooked my scan tool up and pulled 5 codes. Four have to do with 02 sensors. These codes are: P0135, P0141, P0155, and P0161. The explanation is the same for all four codes: heater circuit malfunction.

The fifth code is P0443. Explanation is: Evap emission control system purge control valve system malfunction.

The pre-cat O2s appear to be functioning properly when looking at them with the scan tool. The numbers are switching quickly, and reading from around 400 to 850. The post-cat O2s stay pretty low, around 25, and switch slowly up to around 50.

The scan tool will not read anything having to do with the evap system.

I'm not a Ford guy, but it seems funny to me that all four O2 sensors would suddenly set a code. Are these related to the purge control problem? Does anyone know if these problems are covered by the extended emissions control warranty? And where is the purge control valve located on this engine?

MoparFan

Fuse #5 is a 15 amp fuse in the Battery Junction Box, and it is directly related to all the oxygen sensors and the evap system. I'd check that first.

autodr

Likely popped fuse. Have seen things like mouse chewing wires to EVAP canister and purge valves, and shorted heater circuits in an O2 popping it.

bruiser

Thanks guys. My son came by tonight, and sure enough the fuse was kaput. He was going to stop and get some fuses on the way home. Hope it doesn't keep blowing it.

MoparFan, I too am a moparman. By that I mean I'm a fan of the Mopars of the muscle car years. I have a '69 RR that is currently undergoing some restoration. It's just the 383, 4 speed car. It is numbers matching. I've had it for over 35 years.

MoparFan

bruiser said:
MoparFan, I too am a moparman. By that I mean I'm a fan of the Mopars of the muscle car years. I have a '69 RR that is currently undergoing some restoration. It's just the 383, 4 speed car. It is numbers matching. I've had it for over 35 years.
Good luck with your project. I'm sure it'll be a great machine when it's done.
I helped my neighbor restore his 71 Challenger 340 pistol grip convertible, and it's nothing shy of beautiful. Shaker hood, white interior, pretty limited build on that model. I have my eyes on a 440 Super Bee - the owner has expressed interest in parting with it in the past. Copper metallic, all straight, and would look really good wrapped around me. ;D