Make
Ford
Model
Expl
Year
Miles
Engine
4.0L OHV
Working on an OHV engine (changing lower intake manifold) and a moth went right for the camshaft! I had a light shining and he flew right passed it.
Intake ports stuffed with towels, I was going to cover the rest when I was done scraping. I see now how important it is to expose a minimum of the engine when working on it. I had a close call with a small socket too.

I would say less than 1/2". He never came out. Is this bad? I guess(hope!) he will eventually disintegrate and not block anything.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Not a problem, ignore it. The moth, that is... the socket would have been a worry.

Years ago we lost one of the 5/16" nut holding the carb onto the intake, while the carb was off and the intake open. both of us working on it were certain we had not dropped the nut in, but still spent a long time looking for it everywhere. We never found it, and the engine never had a problem, but it sure was a worry!

96eb96

Not a problem, ignore it. The moth, that is... the socket would have been a worry.

Years ago we lost one of the 5/16" nut holding the carb onto the intake, while the carb was off and the intake open. both of us working on it were certain we had not dropped the nut in, but still spent a long time looking for it everywhere. We never found it, and the engine never had a problem, but it sure was a worry!
Yeah, I saw a cash for clunker vid once on this engine, they poured that crap in and it ran 10 minutes. 2 minutes were with a hole in the block from a rod :lol: I'm sure it laughs at the moth. Inside though, this engine looks like it has 100 miles on it. It was cared for, but it looks like it was very well designed.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
this thread is to funy, got to talk about a 2005 bently continetal in my bay last week. My scanner had software, but when hooked to the car, nothing, going blind on a rare type car like this, wish a moth would bite. It was a 12 cyl twin turbo, much like the other british equivalent. Had a royles once in bay, problem went as far as guy took plane to certify repair.

I have no idea why I write these words, I find my job brings me mucho enjoyment.

In my opinion, I am just not equipped to sometimes deal with other things. The socket may have done damage. but most likely, probably wouldn't have gone pest valves. I think the moth lost

I can only imagine what this moth would have been until you killed it.

NickD

wrench
Some people prefer to be cremated, sounds like that moth made this choice.

NickD

wrench
Down south a buddy of mine opened his hood to find a rattle snake coil up on his air cleaner. Just looking for a warmer spot to spend the night. Was carefully opening my hood after that.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Never ever seen a rattle snake in my life. Except in movies where clint eastwood and son like to play. I love them. My gf likes that they both look the same. Like father and son.

I have heard of the prairie rattlesnake, but heck, they wont even survive one night of -30c in january when soil is close to permafrost like up north. Try to dig in july in nunavut. It is still frozen a few feet under. No skyscrapers there bud.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I have had two in my yard in the last few years. One got a dog on the nose. It was amazing how fast that venom worked! Within just 10 minutes the dog seemed near death. He survived, but it took $1600 worth of anti-venom. Not my dog, not my $1600.

NickD

wrench
We have some here in the cliffs of LaCrosse and Winona, but they are slow and stupid. Not like those sidewinders out west or down south that can crawl if this is the correct word faster than a man can run.

More predominate in our locate is a pine snake, not poisonous, but bite will hurt, worse, like a boa constrictor, didn't want your young kids playing in the lawn. Would talk to them leave or you will get it with my ax, most preferred the ax, largest was 12 feet long.

Most I seen up in Canada, not far from here are little worm like one, six inches long. But sure loaded with mosquitoes that never saw humans before, wonder who taught them we are tasty.

Where to swim down south, gulf super salty with sharks, pubic pools so strong with chlorine, hey maybe this stuff depleting the ozone layer and stupid Gore like mixed up, back rivers were load with water moccasins Best to just take a shower.

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Here in Belize we have a cutie called a Fer De Lance or local Tommygoff. Super deadly Name comes from bite feeling like a red hot lance stuck in you!! Have killed several but not bitten myself!! Fun things in the jungle!!!