mounting tranny / engine

M

MikeP

This isn't exactly a tranny question, but sort of is.. The '93 bonny resto continues, I have my subframe stripped, getting ready for fresh paint. Sweet. Anyway, I've noticed that some of the engine / tranny mounts have slotted holes in the subframe. And there's a mount that looks like a dogbone, that has a slotted hole also. I can't find great details in the service manual about how to align things, except for the 3/4 inch rod used to align the subframe itself to the body. I had planned on reinstalling the engine and tranny into the subframe then sliding it under the car and lowering the car onto it, basicly the reverse of how I removed the entire assembly. But, how do I properly align all those mounts with the slotted holes? I'm guessing that all of you who R & R these trannies every day have a rule of thumb.. Thanks, Mike

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
If the slotted holes are the ones I think you are talking about then just tighten them into wherever they land. Bolt the sub frame into the car, lock all the mounts down and then tighten the slotted dog bones. They are there for a form of adjustment but they will work their way back to where they are happiest anyway. Just make sure they are securely torqued when complete. Transman

M

MikeP

Thanks for answering... So even if they are tight, they will eventually move within the slots if they feel they need to? I suppose this is where strict attention to torque specs is important.
BTW, I like how the subframe splits into two sections on this car, makes it easy to move around, flip, clean, paint, fondle, etc.. I love this car. Mike

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
No Mike, the idea is to mount it where it belongs not where you want them to be. If you bolt all the other things in place then the slotted ones will be where they need to be, if you bolt them in first then you will strain the system and they will go where they want to be. Sometimes not in a nice way. Transman

M

MikeP

Okay, I will do it that. About half of the things have no adjustment. I will install the mounts accordingly.. Thanks.