Mower starts, but won't stay running

wolfsmane

I apologize for not coming back to this post and reporting my fix for this problem in a timely manner.

The problem turned out to be a bad fuel cutoff solenoid. Even though I had bought and installed a new solenoid,
it apparently wasn't working correctly.

My fix was to take the solenoid off, find a short bolt that fit the threads in the bottom of the bowl,
and installed the bolt with the solenoid washer, and snugged it down until it didn't leak.

It has been running perfect like this since I fixed it.

I appreciate everyone who helped me here on the forums!

Greatest enemy of small engines is ethanol in your gas, corrodes that high speed jet, been too small engine shops, tell their customers to use fuel stabilizer. Or they need a need carb, average price for this small pieces of crap are over 150 bucks plus another 60 for installation. And if they keep on using ethanol in their gas, that jet will corrode again with the same problem.

To elevate this problem EPA around 2000 made it illegal to have needle adjustments screws and in some areas, all you can buy is E10. Only recently some new engines claim you can use E10.

Kids father-in-law laid out over 200 bucks on his riding lawn mover, but my son call me. I brought my complete numbered drill set and have a magnifying glass that measures to the nearest thousandth of an inch, pick the right sized drill and just ran it through with my fingers. 2 gallon gas tank with 91 octane ethanol free gas in it. And also added 2 ounces, one ounce per gallon of Seafoam. Don't use stabilizer and never have problems.

You have to remove the carburetor to clean the jets, should have two, high and low speed.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Counter-point:

We have "happy E10", along with happy cows, here in CA. No problems with E10. My wife leaves her mower out in the rain all year, with just E10 in the tank. This Spring, after a wet winter, it started for her on the first pull. (Yeah, I was surprised)