Make
Toyota
Model
Rav4
Year
Miles
Engine
2.0 4cyl
I puchased this used vehicle just recently and i went to prop the hood up and when i went to pull the prop up it was loose and came all the way out. Somehow the prop (rod) got misplaced so i cant take it with me to the salvage yard. I think i could recognize the right replacement. Question is can you guys tell me what years pf the rav4 or anyother toyotas that would most likely have the same hood prop?

eddieguy

I puchased this used vehicle just recently and i went to prop the hood up and when i went to pull the prop up it was loose and came all the way out. Somehow the prop (rod) got misplaced so i cant take it with me to the salvage yard. I think i could recognize the right replacement. Question is can you guys tell me what years pf the rav4 or anyother toyotas that would most likely have the same hood prop?
Sorry guys I had a brain fart I don't know why I put engine prop I meant to write hood prop

NickD

wrench
Lift supports is what they call these things, 88 Supra has four of these, two for the hood, hood lift support, and two more at the rear hatch, rear hatch lift supports. The gas leaks our of them, mine only lasted 26 years and sure a nice way to bump your head.

Doesn't knock any sense into your head, just the opposite. Minivans and SUV's also use these on the rear hatch. Also have one on my copy machine. Ones for my Supra were around 13 bucks each, but for the copy machine over a hundred bucks, so just hold it up with a stick.

Run around 13 bucks each at Advanced Auto, we have their major distribution center in town, usually get a 25% discount just for asking for it.

NickD

wrench
Can't trust the internet found both that support rod, its hinged to the base of the car and swings up into a spot under the hood as well as lift supports like a shock absorber, one on each side of the hood.

paulo57509

That's why when dealing with Toyota parts, it's best to search via VIN.

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
Ha, the VIN isn't given, but is the latest means of identifying your vehicle, but does not include aftermarket components.

jigfeett

some times the junk yard is not the best or least expensive choice. I always check before going. Last thing I needed was a power folding mirror and the junk yard wanted $160 got it online not oem but works perfectly and cannot tell it is not oem $60
P n P has single price set up so the mirror would be $28 but they didn't have one in the year needed.
Years ago I needed a torsion rod for a trunk lid and junk yard wanted $25 but new was only $12
This interweb thing is a cool thing to have around.
Just my opinion.

NickD

wrench
Back in 1974 purchased a 73 intake manifold with the carburetor, sensor and EGR valve for my 1970 Buick Riviera for ten bucks, also two Canadian head gasket that were thicker to reduce the compression ratio from 10.5 to 9.0 so I could buy unleaded gas. Was getting very difficult to fine high octane leaded gas, and the few stations that had in was #1.75 per gallon, reduced lead, where unleaded increased to 35 cents a gallon. Car still got 20 mpg at the new speed limit of 55 mph.

In 1955 picked up a 1952 Dodge engine loaded with every accessory for 65 bucks from a wrecking yard for 60 bucks, only had 8K miles on it, was cheaper than overhauling that 48 Plymouth Coupe engine, and a lot quicker. But this is all history with the way wrecking yards.

Today, only one example, kid hit a dear smashing his left headlamp assembly, Wrecking yard in town wanted a hundred bucks that was Ford's list price, but Ford would give me a 40% discount on a brand new unit, Purchased a brand new exact replacement off of ebay with free shipping, no tax back then for 30 bucks.

Car parts today are ridiculous sure miss the good old days. Friends VW lost its cruise control, part of the ECU, only choice was to buy a new one from VW for $1,300.00 plus labor, these are made in production for around 16 bucks, sure getting screwed today.