need advice again, this time is on what car should I buy?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hello guys, me again asking advice.

I am in the market for a newish car.

I was looking at a 2009 bmw 323i at a price point I could handle on finance, but bank didnt want to finance on a 2009, but would finance on a 2016 bmw 328xi,

Problem is, I wanted the inline six, not the 4 banger turbo which I see way to much of. And for those who know who I am, I see way to many of these engines in my bay for all the same problems, so I dont want to stick a 18grand debt on an engine I know I will have to tear apart in near futur, for me that is not a good investment, even if it is a blast to drive,

So now knowing I got good credit, should I still try for my bmw dream or settle for a camry?

My best buddies have basically answered that question for me, camry all day.

But is there another car I may be overlooking?

Right now, my girlfreind and I have 2 echos, both on end of life due to rust. This is normal for where I live. My girl wont drive clutch, so have to go auto:rolleyes:

But luv and life and getting older knows I will at some point have to invest.

Or just say f it, and buy that mustang?o_O

NickD

wrench
Retired or just tired, had time to look, Hyundai or Kia reminded me of Japanese cars of the 80's trying to get a share of the market here. Got fully loaded Elantra Limited for $23,000, made in the USA, all body sheet metal galvanized 50K mile-5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 100K mile-10 Year warranty. Most other vehicles only have a 60K mile 5 year warranty.

Has a 2.0L 147 HP Atkinson engine, up to 11:1 CR, on summer gas here in Wisconsin, where we live, only about 140 miles south of Canada, we average 50 mpg with summer gas. Have that stupid winter gas, some told the idiots at the EPA it takes an engine an extra minute to warm up on cold winter days, and the emission controls are worthless until it warms up, so we only average 37 mpg.

Don't buy this car if interested in the quarter mile. but on the interstate can do 75 mph all day. We paid a thousand extra to get GPS with an Infinity radio even with a woofer, moon roof, power drivers seat with lumbar, improved suspension, side alert, all electrically heated seats. Where other vehicles charge you 220 bucks for a GPS update, 5 years for free.

We got breathable leather seats, warm air in the winter, cool air in the summer, but you can also get cold air in the summer and hot air in the winter. When we get home, my wife says, I will just sit here.

But don't take anybodies advice, just because we are happy, doesn't mean you will be. Some Canadians on the board complain with carplay their iphones won't work, but do work with android phones. What it does is displays google maps on your cell phone on an 8" screen. We never use it since we have factory GPS, and if you use your phone, can't listen to your MP3's.

One disadvantage of any compact car, only 5 inches of ground clearance, ain't going anywhere with six or more inches of snow on the ground.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Thx Nick, was looking at an optima with the bells and whistles. I really like the options and feels like a solid car, but I know those engines develop a crank knock at early mileage.

The one I was looking at was the non turbo gdi with the leather interior, nav shyte and heated seats and basically everything that bmw has for options.

Being a mechanic sucks when buying a newish car, you find faults everywhere. The optima is right down my cash available venue. So it is a viable car, and as of late, I find these korean jobs have gotten better over time.

A buddy of mine just bought, not leased a hyundai elantra, he likes the car. I told him to clean the gdi system every 40k km and keep the engine in synthetic. Before, he didnt care cuz he rented or leased. I am scared of aftermarket cars cuz you dont really know the paper trail of how it was maintained.

My sister, well, she says pull the trigger on what I want. But if I am sensible, what I want is not sensible. If that makes sense.

At work, we have three hyundai sonatas, but they dont have all the bells, they are just loaners for clients. But they do surprisingly drive nice on 16inch.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
At the end of the day, it is my decision. But it is always nice to know other ppls thoughts on cars they have bought and enjoyed or not enjoyed.

Your wife seems to like the elantra, and so do you. I personally fix them day in and day out and see no major problems aside from the fact they rust like a mazda, but hey, I live in quebec. It is a problem we HAVE to live with.

I will always find a fault in a car, but the essence of this thread was to open my eyes to maybe not being so toyota hell bent.

At this point in my life, practicality is not so much on my forefront of thinking. So I dont need a SUV or pick up, just a good go getter car. And I want to have fun with it.

I am so used to driving crank window echos, I forgot how to have fun with a car.

But when a guy like me feels insecure in a car, time to swap. I have done all I could do keep both thise echos online, but at some point, have to bite bullet.

Again, thx for the futur advice of others on what they are driving and recommend in the sector of car I want to buy. Roughly looking at 16 to 18 grand and year range from 2012 to 2016

NickD

wrench
Kind of squeeze a bit more, know for a fact base price of a vehicle is marked up 30% and options, no shortage of those is 50%, Consumer reports lie like crazy with invoice prices.

If this was true, only way a dealer could stay in business is to hire a minimum wage person working at cash register checking out a vehicle in every two minutes.

Don't know about Canada, in the US, good share of vehicle prices deals with the liability insurance the vehicle manufacture has to pay in this sue happy country.

Major reason why people trade in their vehicles is the parts and labor cost are more than buying a new vehicle.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
ok, Nickd, I had to google some of the stuff you wrote just to make sure I wasnt going to write something wrong.

Up here in quebec, we dont have same laws as in wisconsin.

I dont need or want liability, cus our laws are different. Or I read them wrong.

I know I will have to pay some insurance on liability, but that is up to me to do that, not the bank. So how does that help me find a car?

When you say slash write (squeeze a bit more) do you mean I can finagle and or give room to discussion?

These are the advice's I need. Up here, we have no fault law.

So lets say we count out all that, should I buy into a car knowing this aint going to be an investment, but mostly a need, what is a good car to buy?

jigfeett

Get what you want!

The banks and insurance run the system for all of it. You like a car but the bank says no because they know what cars will break the bank when repairing an accident.

Yes banks and insurance are in it together and then add the lawyers.

My wife really loved a GMC suv but the bank wouldn't finance it because of age and mileage. sub $9000 price tag even though we were pre-approved for $60,000 and have over an 800 credit score. Just imagine a $1000 a month car payment.

The bank doesn't make enough money on low dollar loans!

A friend of mine just got a new GMC $980 a month and the banks were jumping over each other to give them the money.

A banker a lawyer and an insurance guy are on a plane about to crash, but there are only two parachutes, who gets left out?

It doesn't matter none of them are worth saving.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
well guys, I think I just pulled trigger.

Not sure yet, but really looking hard at a toy corrola S manual.

Its got some mileage on it, but nothing that really worries me. Not like the bmw with that 2.0l turbo.

So my reasoning is this, it has 133k kms on it. That for me in a toy is brand new or just starting to show wear. Its a 2016, so know it mostly highway. Obviously I wont sign nothing till I inspect it on a lift.

I forgot how stressfull it is dealing with this stuff. So I am going to stick with good common rule, dont buy to much car you might choke on later.

Here is link to actual car.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The RR quarter looks fine to me. The damn car is so clean and shiny that reflections of objects all around it make it hard to look thoroughly for waves in the body!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I like the six speed option, and the half leather black and blue with white stitching. But that is not a deal sealer for me. What is a deal sealer is what you just wrote, the car almost looks too clean.

Now I am getting paranoid. Anyway, thx alot for taking a look. I really like how that blue pops. I also like the fact it aint got mag wheels. So I can pretty much save $$$ there as these tires are most common and basically free for the next five yrs. Cuz I have three sets of 18 65 15 all rimmed up.

But as a mechanic, I trust highway cars more than grandma cars.

Again, thx for taking a look. I am actively looking and I regard your input as very valuable.