need advice again, this time is on what car should I buy?

jigfeett

Will they provide a carfax report? Car reports are only as good as what was actually reported. If not you can get one yourself. Looks like a very nice car and you'll wheel and deal them down some.
The GF can't drive it with the stick or is it she just doesn't like to drive stick shifts?

jigfeett

Seattle area they run about $14000 with 25 to 50 k miles. Seems to be a lot of low mileage examples for sale around here even one with 21239 for $14900 HHHMM interesting. a 2017 with 5k on the odo for $17000

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hey, again, thx all. Yeah I know it is a high mile car. But I finagled down to 125$ bi weekly and said NO to all the extras.

Even brought home insurance down.

I know I am on hook for a few quid in long run, but I dont mind taking the hit after divorce and all that. It was something I has to do, and I am happy this transaction came thru. I really like the interior. It may help me keep my car cleaner, but some how, I dont think so.

I am signing friday, insurance and carfax check is all done.

So if all goes well on friday. I get a good solid ride which I think I can lie with for the next few yrs and make good miles on it.

@jigfeett

I wish I lived in USA for car value, but if you ever know a canuck, our quid sucks, and we drive hard. This was the cleanest one I found with the s package and the kicker is, wait for it, now gf want my blue echo. Now she drive stick. Go figure.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
All in all, I knew it was down to me once I knew which price range I could handle with my sons remaining (pension alimentaire). Sorry, my french couldnt find a way to translate that and I am too tired to trigger anything else to day. That salesman was a fast talker.

Good thing I have been a tech in 2 dealerships, they all have the same master plan. They dont make money off the actual car itself, they make money on extras, and a corrola like this dont need extras, it aint a porche. And I cant even beleive he offered me the scotch guard treatment, but yup, he did.

Anyway, it was fun and not fun, but at the end of the day, what is important to me is trying to find a rust free car. Which is virtually impossible up here.

My sister likes the ride, she especially likes the interior and that white stitching. I knew that would be a bonus for the women in my life. Now my gf has a touchscreen to f with while I drive and bitch about something or other. Typical life, as it should be.

NickD

wrench
Daughter purchased a new 2016 Kia Soul after college Basic manual transmission for $13.500.00 Has power windows door locks, radio that plays MP3's and makes hands free calls. Has a lot of space in its interior. Her dream was to go to Portland, but now here dream is to come back home.

Almost thinking about buying one myself, has 8 inches of ground clearances so would be a better winter driving car. One option it did not have was cruise control, found the switch on ebay for 15 bucks, could have added a wire to it, but a new harness was 30 bucks so spent that to keep it looking like stock.

No hurry gave removing the negative battery cable ten minutes to make sure that air bag capacitor was discharged, removing the steering wheel has practically tool less, unpopped that blank piece of plastic, snapped the new one in with switches, had the old harness removed, plugged in the new one, snapped everything back together. All this stuff snaps back together and a heck of a lot easier than unsnapping it .

Took it for a test drive, cruise worked perfectly, even the dash lighted up with Cruise. Can you imagine driving 2,000 miles without cruise? Actually I have done this for 17 years. Pray your foot would fall asleep.

NickD

wrench
Carfax justs goes by posted records, what about the unposted ones? Plenty of so called bluebook trade in prices, but even though your tradein is perfect no dealer will be even close to a trade in price.

No more buying used up stuff, worse people to deal with were private parties, lie like crazy and won't let you take their car for an inspection. But reasons, can't keep up with the payments, or problems costing more what the darn thing is worse.

Did work for a used car dealer between jobs for a bit, went to auctions, have used car dealers trying to screw each other, new car dealers are also there, bring vehicles, that need more than a wash job to be resold, suckers are used car dealers.

So my best bet for buying a used vehicle, and after nine kids of the BS was to go to a new car dealer. Have yet to make an offer of over the bluebook trade in value. Ha, you never even went close to the trade in value, getting rid of that pile of junk for trade in value and have cash. But they all needed work of some sort. One job was to remove the interior and toss all that in a washing machine to get a clean start.

Was nice in the early 50's, people were buying new vehicles to keep up with the Jones's could really get some nice vehicles for less than a hundred bucks. Practically all had seat covers, removed those, seats were like brand new. How about a 1933 Buick with only 16,000 miles on it, two brand new spare tires in the fenders for 50 bucks!

But did not have two badly needed options like a heater and a radio. 1937 Caddy Limo had those, but that was a huge 75 bucks. Those days are gone for ever.

Did pick up a practically brand new 51 DeSoto for 100 bucks with only 19K miles on it. Knew the synchro was bad in that tip toe shift, and a metal re-enforced one way a buck. Removed the transmission, easy in those days, but countless number of loose needle bearings, did take some time to get those countered and back together. Not a kids car, but sold it for 450 bucks and purchased a 54 Olds 88 Holiday coupe with a brand new interior. Girls kind of liked that car.

Oh when you go cars shopping today, keep your hand on your wallet. And if requested to bend over, don't!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, forgot to post this, it didnt come with any floor mats for winter, but has real good michlin tires with allot of meat left so I didnt bother whining on that one, I will pull the ones out of my echo before I dump or sell it or take it apart for parts. I know allot of ppl with echos, I could make some dough maybe that way.

Ok, this thread was fun. I'll post a few pics later when sun is out. I just want to say thx for those who posted. It was fun. I know I didnt buy the latest fast back or something, bought I think I will get some enjoyment out this 2016 toy grocery getter.

NickD

wrench
If you want reliability try a WW II Jeep or a Forty-Four Ford, Ford made those for the military and far more reliable than consumer made vehicles.

If you want something that will go 4 million miles, try a Freightliner with a sleeper cab, crazy SUV drivers will stay far away from you, and if you cannot pay your rent, will have a nice place to sleep.

Consumers consume, and if you give them quality, won't consume as much.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
well, I wanted to update this thread after a week or so of driving this thing.

Here are a few likes and dislikes.

First of all, I really like the car for its fuel economy. It performs much like my other two echos. It take 40 liters of gas and does pretty much same mileage as my other toy 4 bangers.

I dont like the six manual. Clutch is high and gears are wonky. Maybe just need to get used to this. Also dont like the electric steering, wish it and a real power steering.

One thing I absolutely hate is the stereo in this thing. It sucks large.

Once I buy my first set of snow shoes for it, I will then proceed to buy a 10 inch android os upgrade cuz this factory screen thing just sucks. Did I say it sucks? Yeah, it sucks.

Found nice floor mats for it at canadian tire, nice deep design for slush and what not with a faux leather finish to match the faux leather interior for 23$ cad.

What I like about the new toy, seats are very nice. But I think that is the S option. And it corners real good on the 205 tires.

Also, payment went down, it is not 127 bi weekly, 118 bi weekly. So should have thing paid off in no time.

Funny anecdote, when my gf gets in car, it develops a squeak in dash area on passenger side. When she gets outs, it goes away. Sign I dont want her in my newish car with her tim hortons coffee and cigarette in hand.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
of note, this was definitely a chick dancer pole kinda girl, NOT a single mom car. On driver door sill, if that is even a word? I notice alot of high heel stiletto marks going to steel. So that is something I will need to address. Rest of car is vomit and coffee free and very well maintained.

It was a high way car, and will continue to be so. That is why I bought it.

I dont think the lady who had this car ever even opened the boot of the car. I have a co worker who is alot like me in the toy brand but he is 6 foot 4inch. He got in my ride and was impressed with the space.

Lots of head room.

Lots of leg room.

Lest we forget, this is after all just a rice burner. But probably one I can kick the shyte out of for the good forseable futur without having to worry about some engine or tranny failure. Typical toyota design. Just make them good, and made to last. Now just need to rust proof it.