Need ignition lock cylinder for 98 Dodge G. Caravan: What brand to buy?

jay

98 Dodge Grand Caravan,3.3, 199,732 miles.

A spare ignition switch is stuck in the ignition lock cylinder and can not be removed. Fortunately, van can be started and turned off.
Lock cylinder has been acting kinda flaky a while back when I last drove the van.

Started pricing lock cylinders and they range from $13 at AZ to $94 from Dodge dealer.

Anyone got a good recommendation for a decent replacement lock cylinder that I should use? Somehow, the $13 one at AZ does not interest me... :ROFL

thanks, jay

Ford_Dude

wrench
How long did the one from the dealer last ? The one that came with the van ? ;)

Ford_Dude

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
D*E*A*L*E*R!

The lockset from dealer will be made in USA by Briggs and Stratton, as all American auto manufacturers locks are. Autozone will be a made in China knock off that won't fit and won't last.

Just spend the $94 and be done with it.

My two bits.

Cheef

jay

I heard you Cheef and Forddude about the locks.
Yeah, a cheap lock wouldn't be cheap at all if it cost me a tow to the house when ignition lock problem developed.

jay

Just to follow up and close this thread out.
I removed the lockset and low and behold, the errant key was able to be removed.... :eek:

I took the lockset to a local locksmith to have him check it out for any worn tumbles and rebuild as necessary. He checked it out and reported it was in good shape and just added a little grease. I had him cut new keys based on an original unused key for the ignition I had.

Installed the lockset and all is well now.

jay