Chevy
Model
Express van, 1500 series
Year
Miles
~150K
Engine
5.7 V-8
The driver's side window is intermittent, always goes down but sometimes doesn't want to go back up. It can take a lot of button pushes.

Mobile Dan

wrench
I would remove door panel, disconnect wires to motor, connect headlamp bulb to substitute for typical motor load. Now try your switch...does bulb light every time you press the switch (up or down)? If Down works good but Up is flakey....you have a bad switch.

grcauto

More than likely the switch. I have the wiring diagrams but you really don't need them. Do as Dan said.

JackC

wrench
Bill: OR, loose or misaligned track, or weak overheated motor or loose screw , etc. . I know you will figure it out as soon as you do as Dan says. It is pretty intuitive.
You can put 12 volts directly to the motor when the door panel is off to determine if it is switch or motor or whatever. My best guess is the motor. If so, you may need to buy the motor and regulator assy together. Can be tricky to R & R but very doable. Have band-aids ready, lots of sharp metal in there.

Let me know if I can help

billr

wrench
Staff member
Please post the schematics. I would like to trouble-shoot this without taking off the door panel to do basic "reverse engineering". My experience is that there are plastic tabs/clips holding the panel (and lock rods) that are prone to breaking if I go in there. I had an older Chevy that had the switches controlling a module/relay for the window "system", not controlling the motors directly; this may be similar.

NickD

wrench
Close to a 1994 Olds SUV, drivers switch panel, loaded with bare copper contacts, turned brown, copper oxide, good insulator. Took everything apart and polished all the contacts, need a clean workspace with plenty of space and have to watch out for springs flying all over.

Not as bad, only two rocker switches, are interlocked because they power an reverse the polarity to the motor. If they weren't interlocked, if the driver decides to close the passenger window and the passenger wants to open it, would be applying opposite sides of the battery to the same motor, shorting out the battery.

See rockauto.com sells new switches, if you want to lay out 100 bucks. Had to open the power window switches on my 92 DeVille, was curious why they were trouble free, used all tungsten contacts like in old ignition points. EPA banned electroplating in the US in the late 80's, so we got stuck with bare copper switches. Ford and GM were notorious for this.

JackC

wrench
Bill: I have the special tool to remove door panel that reduces the clip breakage that you can borrow. 1591626643186.png

I also have some extra clips that may fit.

If memory serves (and it may not) , there may be a builtin non serviceable circuit breaker in the motor assy.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I found a schematic that I think is correct. Just a simple switch there. I hope it snaps out (up) of the armrest easily...

NickD

wrench
Never ever had problems with manual windows, even base model vehicles come with power windows, but no cruise control. Moon roofs use to come with a crank if power fails, but also history.

Got stuck 300 miles from home in a major thunder storm, had to lower the window for a toll booth. Was easy to repair that, but not to remove the entire interior to dry it out.

Always think twice before lowering a window.

My 88 Supra passenger side window would not go up, guess after 30 years, what should be a normally closed contact on the drivers side wasn't quite making contact, and thank goodness, sun was out, 20 miles from home. Switch assemblies could be popped out and disconnected from a connector. Just took the drivers switch out, opened it and burnished the contacts. But can also be on the passenger side, so also removed that to burnished the contacts.

Was working back in the 60's with Bell Labs to develop all solid state switching and touch tone dialing. Had huge rooms with thousands of relays and stepping switches. That's when I learned I learned about burnishing switch contacts. Had crews working around the clock cleaning contacts, solid state laid off thousands of them saving Bell and other phone companies millions of dollars. So what did they do? Increase the rates for touch tone by ten bucks a month. Now getting screwed blue by cell phone companies.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
A simple switch??? No, not hardly, see picture attached.

I'm going to have to use my milling machine to open this up further without ruining it, and I don't even know if this switch module is the problem.

I am re-issuing my plea for wiring schematics. Obviously, the one I have is bogus.

window switch.JPG

JackC

wrench
Bill: Yes, I think that with the diagram you can jump wires at the switch area and find out if the motor is working properly or not. I have done that procedure before and discovered it was the motor-regulator assy. , not the switch. Good luck.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Jim, thanks for trying but that's what I already have and it is wrong. That shows six wires to the switch and I have seven.

NickD

wrench
Here;s another wrong circuit.

[edited out per OP's request]

Can't believe that low level surface mount circuit is part of that power switch, never seen a circuit like that before in a power window switch, but always a first time, and as usual that 8 pin IC has an OEM number on so can't repair it.

Last edited by a moderator: