Need some radio help with my z71

Gus

wrench
NickD, the last time I mentioned 8track to someone, they looked at me like I had two heads......

Waxed cylinders, phenolic records, reel to reel, 8 track, cassettes, CD's, MP3's, ha, had all of these over the years.

8 track was a continuous loop with two reels, if one would jam get tape jamming up the player, and even all over the floor, but made Lear rich so it got into jet planes. Was back in the 50's Chrysler put in a phonograph, with only about ten records around 2-3 minutes each, not bad when parked, but was a way over priced flop.

Ha, was able to sell my 8 track player and recorder when it was still worth something, but never missed it.

78 Fleetwood, still used those old class A germanium power transistors with about a 5 watt output, and switching it on drew 5 amps from the battery regardless of volumes. Got rid of those with these newer integrated circuit power amplifiers, bridged output for 20 watts RMS. And for normal volume would only draw, 0.5 amps. But these required very large heat sinks, would consume the same power they were delivering.

With CD players using these linear circuits, better described as a CD toaster than a player, only way to get around this was to add external amplifiers to take the load out of all these all in one units.

Today, switchmode technology came into play with a high frequency modulated carrier, so-called Class D operation. One small chip can deliver 40 watts without getting hot. A lot has changed over the years.