new compressor is installed at work, how long will it last is the question

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As title says. I forsee a lot more maintenance on this thing than the trusty old devilbiss that is older than the 1960 building. :eek: I am going to miss that old devil, it was a work horse, not sure about this one, it whines all day, never stops. It a screw type comp. Hot as heck to, will be good for the guys in winter, but we are building an encloser with trap door for winter and summer. Heat out in summer, switch trap door, heat in in winter. 20200428_165448[1].jpg20200428_165519[1].jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
At least it is all north american made, execpt for odd bits of tech from china or korea, that keeps the cost down, but this sucker was expensive, good thing I wasnt payin, that devilbiss would have stayed a while longer. It had a comforting sound like a few harleys, this new thing, just whines like an airplane

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The back yard tire guys hate the thing. Cuz the old devil was on our tech side of the building, the boss on advice of a few decided to put it in the entrepot.

So he could save on heat in winter, and us tech guys, no more compressor to listen to, until one of the entrepot guys kills the big red switch. Boy, we are having fun at work.

:D:giveup::fixed:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This new thing really pissed us all off the other day, that and a internet failure, could not recover who due to come in for emergency, heck of a day, comp out of service, lost data or something.

Who the F do you think they came to see. ME, the only guy who knows how to read proper english and follow new charts. Anyway, we had a sit down, a few pizzas, and I think I saw a corona beer at 12pm.

Interceptors on lifts, no air pressure to unlock the safeties, 3 cop car stalled on lift whilst some manifesting ppl wanted to sun bath.

Some days, you just got to give up, drink a six pack and listen to birds.

So today, three comebacks for loose wheels, bad all around shyte, ppl galore really not happy, due to a comp that when you shut off power, zero air, damn thing just shut down, did not recognize that beast of generator kicked in, module threw a code. F this, put back the old devil on line, it still has power with generator and is belt driven like a harley, .

Ok end of rant, We all hate the thing.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do I understand correctly, the mains power went out and your standby generator came on, and this new compressor tripped out on the power supplied by the gen?

That 575V on the nameplate brought back memories of some molding machines I "inherited" from Canada. I was kind of worried about needing to have motors rewound, but found they worked acceptably on 480VAC.

Have you measure voltage of the mains, and of the gen power? Next step is to check nameplate voltage of the compressor motor, see what it is expecting. Then, open the control panel and check how the LV transformer is tapped; see if it is providing correct voltage (on both mains and gen) for all the controls. See if the module that checks line voltage (should have one, but may not) is set reasonably. Same for the motor-starter overload setting. Is the standby power a rotating machine, or inverter? It wouldn't hurt any to check wave-form and phasing, whatever it is.

PS: Was there any diag message/lights of why it tripped off?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The guys threw the booklet out with the wood burn.

So now, have to find codes on net for this, and in covide status, well, tumorous service is close to nada. Internet is way slow, some how lap top was able to find update, but internet then failed and all custumor service failed after that, so yeah, a day to listen to birds.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
QAll I know, is new comp went on line, gen powered no prob, was connected, somehow, the installer of this wiffi shyte forgot an essential part, the old devil. Still hook uped, so slammed breaker on that, ran out side, shut diesel source, and hoped old devil wold kick in, yup, it did, old relay on pressure said go.

New POS shyte gave me a binarie code
And said on nice blue panel plz reset me. Code 1238 something ish I had no time for cuz we had at least 24 car and truck on air activated locks

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, I get it. Making this new compressor work properly is the responsibility of the vendor right now. It is "still under warranty". A few years from now, when you have to baby-sit it, we can talk again...