New design for intermediate steering shaft?

ChevyDude

Make
Chevrolet
Model
Z71
Year
29=004
Miles
Engine
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has designed a better widget for the intermediate steering shaft? It is about that time to replace the one on my 04 Z71....againnnnnn.

Thanks a bunch.

cw41

As far as i know, the revised a c delco shaft has not been changed. I installed one on my 2003 about 50k ago and still is fine no clunk. go to rockauto and see what is available. make sure you position the steering wheel to where it doesn't turn or you will ruin the clock spring under the steering wheel.

ChevyDude

As far as i know, the revised a c delco shaft has not been changed. I installed one on my 2003 about 50k ago and still is fine no clunk. go to rockauto and see what is available. make sure you position the steering wheel to where it doesn't turn or you will ruin the clock spring under the steering wheel.
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Great advice, btw, hi CW.

cw41

hey nickb2. did it ever warm up above freezing yet? its 100f in the shade here. have u come across any gm 8 spd tranny shifting issues up north? Wondering if they ever come up with a fix? take care

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, it thawed. ;) We had 34 celcius today with a humidex of 59%. I was fixing a few AC"s today to say the least.

As for any 8 speed issues of note. Not at all. Not one.

You too, take care.

cw41

Its 99 f here again today and had to do a couple outside things followed the shade as much as I could. That 8spd must be a usa thing as numerous cases including mine cannot apparently be fixed?? Bucks like being in a rodeo. dam shame for a new rig.
glad it warmed up for you, these plastic cars are real fun to work on in the cold.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
if you have time cw, I know we had some good communication and all, and I wanted to show you my new water cooled build. I put gm dexcool in it cuz everybody said I was nutz

It is in the open discussion part here, overclocking I think

cw41

WOW nickb2, I can hardly get my laptop open to replace a hard drive and then we'll see if I can get windows back in it. You are computer savvy, I was born 50 years too early for all of this going on now.
Quite a system you have going there my hat goes off to you!!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Thx cw, it took me a full year or so to get all the parts and figure out and it is still not done yet to my liking, but this being a hobby thing, I dont think anything is ever really perfect.

As of now, maybe 2ish grand in, and still not counting. My greek gf actually probably knows how much, it may be in the 3 grand. Anyway, it is a hobby.

I am actually not that tech savy as you wrote, I just learned on my own with much help of the net community.

I still dont know how to RAID in proper, my hard drives are always full and conflicting one another, but I will get there with some perseverence.

Sometimes my drive to do something gets in the way of normal life, and I have to balance that.

Going to work up north actually helped, cuz all I had was an amd laptop and no means of even trying to upgrade it. But it did the trick. I know the other Nick here is WAY more savy than I. He often writes he was a head honcho on first gen stuff with nasa stuff and all. I could only wish to have had that training.

For me, this build was just about if I could. And I did, and I am proud of myself for actually having the balls to say f it, I am doing it, no matter what. It helped me stay focused on menial stuff, and I felt like a kid again every time I would open a new goody box.

It is not completed yet, and I am already starting to do another one for gf, son and sister.

This hobby is alot like when I used to build model cars when I was a kid. Keeps the mind busy while world go to shyte. ;) ;)

Again, thx for the peep, it shows you actually clicked on the overclock and read.

However, I must say, new in this ryzen build, glitches are coming out, I ran intel on my main stuff for yrs. So it is a learning curve so to speak.

Anyway, not wanting to bore you anymore with this, since you were born 50 yrs early, does that make you 100yrs old:eek::eek::giveup:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
However, site only says 2006 z71 so make sure it fits your 04 first. My head space says it should.

I may be wrong here, as I often can be, but I think they used the same shaft from 1999 -2013. You could call your gm dealer, they may have that pn number in stock, there is a tsb out for that and somehow I missed it. The tsb is at home in my data base and I am still at my gf house liking the ac as we are in a heat wave. But here is a link to what I found on net.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am actually happy I found this as I have two co workers who have these trucks and many clients also who get that clunk noise and never saw they revised it.

It is actually funny, you dont see that advertised much. Maybe GM doesnt want us to know too much and have alot of those old shaft lying around and want to get rid of them. In the picture, I do see the design improvement.

So after more perusing on the net, here is another option, this design has a grease fitting. ;):bat::fixed: But it is more costly compared to the other one I linked to. But if the part is better, maybe paying a bit more for the machining and grease fitting design may be worth cost. I will certainly recommend one to a client soon, we swap a lot of those around here, I live in a farm region were we see alot of these pick ups.