New Electric Vehicle Forum

jordanr

BAT Auto Editor
Hi everyone.

To keep up with the times, we are opening an EV forum. Please help us get this forum started. Posts about hybrid vehicles also are welcome. Also home charging equipment topics.

Who has an electric vehicle or is wrenching on them?
Hate or love electric vehicles?
Advise on buying?

I am particularly interested in how trouble codes will evolve for electric vehicles. What will happen to OBD2? Anyone know?

Richard

billr

wrench
Staff member
I am looking to get a wrecked Chevy Bolt to play with; bring back to life as I learn.

Why wrecked? So I can get it at rock-bottom price and won't feel I am ruining the value of a pristine one.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, that was quick.

I feel a need to introduce myself, I suit up for the juice.

I will try to the utmost (is that a word?) to answer questions. I am also interested in home charging, I am specifically interested in how canada differs from usa and the regulations you have to deal with. Because up here in quebec, we are quite fortunate to have an open field right now, we even got government subsidizing.

So as promised, I kick off with a few pics.

Normally, this is my day job. For 28ish yrs now, but EV's are quick becoming a viable trend, ppl are actually buying them, and as a tech, I have to keep up with the times.

20190815_073935.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The info I will try to give here, is all provisoire, which I think means in the development stage. So nothing here can be taken as going to bank.

Again, wow, that was quick, I knew it only took a few keystrokes.

Right now, my biggest hurdle is going through all the safety measures, finding the data is a bit hard, and I will also try to help you all in that also. I don't really like suiting up, but it is part of being recognized.

At my shop, oops, should have said, at the shop that employs me, they are investing. So sometimes, I need to buy tools, or give suggestions. I am open to those, such as what megaohm meter do you use, or suggest, 20200212_101003.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here is an example of an isolation scenario. It is a pic of a pic modified, unit was handed around for test, this type of scenario will actually kick down unit. 20200202_060819.jpg

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This soon to be my new day job, very different scenario, and have to up with times, as jordanR aptly wrote.

Anything scope related, I will gobble up. :p20200206_072750.jpg

jordanr

BAT Auto Editor
What are the common EV's you are seeing / working on Anik?

More and more Teslas around where I am in Florida.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am fortunate to work in an area where ppl have lots of money, us to, alot of tesla, but the kias are also around, not so much the bolt and surprisingly, not alot of spark either, bunch of volts, had a honda clarity in the other day, but that was just for tires, ugly as sin in my opinion.

But somehow, I think they may sell a few of those cuz the leap to full ev has not caught full on yet, so plugin hybrids still have a niche.

At work, have not fixed any of them beyond normal stuff, like brakes and suspension and some cooling maintenance stuff, this of course is going to change real quick as we move forward, and now the shop is buying stuff we need to go further. We are still trying to figure out ADAS, we don't have space yet for full 360 adjustment. That was a bit off topic, just trying to show, for aftermarket shops, it is going to be a hurdle. If they don't invest, mostly in training, they will loose out on future growth.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now this may sound snobbish, but we do own most of hydro in all of north america (slight exageration there to boost moral and debate;)), to not embrace that is economic suicide.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I know I am off topic, but can't wait to see a hydrogen car, alot of testing going here, we have a few hydrogen stations here, will be interesting at end of testing for our climate, seems positive so far.
I really don't know where USA is at in this game, but quebec bought a fleet last yr ish, here is a link to that. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/75th-annual-montreal-auto-1.4494138

I mostly liked this comment of above link.

The Mirai can travel as far as 500 kilometres on a single tank, and unlike electric cars, it only needs five minutes to charge. It's also reliable in even the coldest conditions.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Cuz this is a problem we face that some of you guys more down south don't have to contend with, but temp really does affect a battery, anybody in the know knows that.

So for you guys, you will see more heat related problems, so addressing cooling systems is going to be bread winner, for us, it will be more fixing auxiliary heater and such. Who want to drive an ev with no heat?

Seeing alot of manufactuers using a thermopump type design. Pretty ingenious, but again, going to be some r issues there. I probably posted this pic in another thread, but wanted to include it here, it is a tesla design, not sure what to make of it, I just think it is kind of mickey mouse, way to many junction points were I see possible freon leaks etc. 20200206_072833.jpg