bob428

Make
Hyundai
Model
Elantra
Year
Miles
Engine
Noticed no brake lights from both the left, right, and 3rd light. Assuming it either a fuse or the brake light switch. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for this vehicle? Does anything else run on the same fuse? Hoping it is a simple fuse, but looks like the brake switch is not that bad to install.

Thanks,
Bob

NickD

wrench
Typical for Elantras the so-call stop lights are activated by a switch mounted in front and near the top of the brake pedal, circuit is always hot and usually only requires about less than an inch of brake pedal depression to activate the three lights.

Its a normally closed switch, releasing the brake pedal pushes in the button that turns the brake lights off, if that switch is loose on its mounting brake will be on at all times.

On rare occasions an incandescent lamp will short out to blow a fuse this is rare. Switch can also be worn and not going all the way or the contacts are dirty. Can crawl under and try to pull that switch plunger out.

Recall on other vehicles switch is activated by brake fluid pressure, when you removed that switch brake fluid would pour in your face.

Also recall cars that did not have brake stop lights, had to roll down the window, extend my left arm out and down at a 45 degree angle. If you tired this today during a drivers test, would flunk for taking your hand off the steering wheel. Really would flunk if you took your right hand off as well to shift manual gears.

bob428

Thanks, guys for the information. The first thing I checked was the fuse which was good. Pulled a rear lens and check for power at the bulb with the brake pedal engaged. No power. Assumed the brake switch was bad. Removed the switch and check continuity between two pins. Had continuity and could break the continuity by depressing the plunger. This baffled me. Hooked back up the electrical connector to the switch and low and behold I had my brake lights back. Spent the next half hour getting the switch back into the correct position. As I get older, working under the dash seems to get a lot harder. Readjusted so that the brake lights would come on only when the brake pedal was engaged. The question I have, could the switch be going bad? After so many activations, deactivations would it be wise just to replace it? The switch is about $12.

Thanks again,

Bob

NickD

wrench
Window Sticker on our Elantra says that less than 1% of the parts are from China, wonder if its this brake switch?

Erratic switch operation is not uncommon, the interior light switch on our 30 year old refrigerator quit working, was glued to together, cut on the lines, contacts were all back, used my burnishing tool to clean them, glued the switch back together, working again. The incandescent bulbs two of them still worked after 30 years, replaced those with LED's, instead of a one ampere load, 0.1 ampere, should last longer and incandescent bulbs have a high surge current, LED's do not. 27 bucks for that little switch. And with my luck, the new ones are made in China.

NickD

wrench
60 years ago, my kid brother was working in a plant that made tungsten contacts for ignition points, gave me a bag of 250, these will last a long time, but I used up that bag a long time ago. Most contacts are silver plated brass, not too much money is involved, silver is only 2 microns thick and arcing knock a hole in these things.

Strictly throwaway, matter of fact, so is the rest of the vehicle.

bob428

NickD,

Are you suggesting changing the 1157 bulbs to LED and change out switch?

Thanks,
Bob

NickD

wrench
I don't know why I mentioned that, several vehicles were rear ended and the opposing insurance company inspected the stop and tail lamps. If anything other than OE will claim that alteration was the cause of the so called accident.

They have tied up the best crooked attorneys, so yours is second best, any crooked thing to avoid paying a claim.

Keep all of mine stock, not concerned about my refrigerator getting rear ended. 2017 does have LED stop lights.

bob428

Thanks. Just ordered the new switch. Hopefully, it will last another 14 years.

bob428

Fixed. Replaced switch, now works all the time. Thanks again.

jigfeett

Always good to hear it got fixed and what was done to do so,

When changing over to LED they might not work at all and or could throw a fault for open circuit.

A friend of mine had a motorcycle and changed to LED then he called me and said all I did was replace the bulb and now the lights do not work. But when I put the old one in it does work. He had to buy a resistor to help the load so they would work.

Modern vehicles have a parameter that tells the controller what kind of bulbs are installed.

NickD

wrench
When our last car was rear ended by a drunk, was ticketed and wife was legally stopped, I see his crooked insurance company looked at our tail and brake lights to see if they were changed from OE so they could blame us for this drunk and not pay a claim. But in my line of work, dealt with many cases like this, and just leave everything OEM, if any suing is done, will be to the vehicle manufacture, but they are protected with DOT approval, can't sue them.

Practically all later model vehicles use current sensing and will light up something on the dash is the current draw is not within specs. Standard incandescent brake lamp draws, 2.1 amperes, anything less than that will ignite that warning lamp. Much more than that will blow a fuse.

1988 Supra is 32 years old, every bulb in there is original, all incandescent. But this is before some of our leaders sold us out and buying crap from China, most of the LED's are from China. They burn out quicker than incandescence made in the USA.

Who said a sucker is born every minute.