No bus code on 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2 2 wheel drive

Make
Dodge
Model
Ram 1500
Year
Miles
Engine
Replaced transmission and while pulling out the old one discovered that the 8 pronge plug for the shift selonoids was broken. Just wandering if that's what is causing my no bus code. Transmission selonoids also apparently aren't getting signal to shift. Checked plug it looks ok as far as the pins go. Also wandering if I could have an ECM problem

billr

wrench
Staff member
This was posted twice in the "Domestics" forum. I deleted one and moved the other here to "Transmission" where it is more likely to be seen by our trans experts.

What is the code that is set? Do I understand correctly, the connector on the wiring harness is known to be damaged? Yet you say the pins look OK... Please clarify. Posting pictures may help.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Although low on the totem pole of can bus, in 1999, they did rely a little bit on it for basic needs.

@billr , most likely a U1000 ish. Would not be suspicious of pcm yet. In this scenario the truck should have a seperate module for trans. Now this truck if older than my son, so plz forgive old memories.

Dodge had not yet integrated the two powertrain control modules yet back then. The engine and transmission need to talk to each other.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So I would try a bone yard to see if you can try to muster up a round 8ish pin trans connector as Mopar is not likely to have them readily available in 2024. The trans at this point cannot shift in this scenario, it need Powertrain control information.

Remember, this is a very fragile transmission. They all were back then. Mopar really sucked in the tranny dept back then.

So parroting Bill, post it picture of said master connector would nice. Maybe it is fixable as up here, have not seen a 1999 ram in ages, and the few ones we still have are stripped down to bone.

I know this was not very helpful to you. Some companies do still specifically make these but up here in Canada very hard to come by. Happy new year and later this afternoon I will try to find this for you if at all it is still available.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
For informational purposes only, back then, up until 2006ish they called it a CCD network and it was very basic compared to today. The fact that the actual transmission valve body is not on the CCD network doesn't really matter. It was if memory serves me right, relying on 5v structure and pcm and ECM would code if not seeing a return signal and instruct pcm to code a no bus even though it was not part of the actual network.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BP is our resident transmission guru, he will most likely correct me if I am wrong.

This is most likely a 46e, quite honestly the worst transmission ever built by Mopar. But that is beside the point.

I wish I could post a proper wiring but I do not have access to my data base right now and lugging out my old alldata cd's is going to be a nightmare.

Your job at this stage, is to post the no bus code.

Sorry for long response. And if I sent you into weeds, I will try better next time you post back what bill And I asked for. Again, happy new year from up north

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, forgot to mention, up here in the north, we had lots of difficulty removing those connectors and often broke the tranny side also.they put that connection down wards, awesome place and road salt and road grime would basically be caked on solid. Horrible

Found a upgrade kit from sonnax. So forget the Amazon price of 300$, the sonnax 46re sure cure kit is 185$ plus 56$ for pigtailed connector shown above is not so bad, and you are sure to have a really solid connection.

Last edited:

grcauto

wrench
Replaced transmission and while pulling out the old one discovered that the 8 pronge plug for the shift selonoids was broken. Just wandering if that's what is causing my no bus code. Transmission selonoids also apparently aren't getting signal to shift. Checked plug it looks ok as far as the pins go. Also wandering if I could have an ECM problem
I'd put a scan tool on it and see what's going on. What was the 'no bus code' exactly. PO7xx

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@grcauto , I forgot to mention, op can do a cluster interrogation, using key and trip button. Should display a series's of codes. 921,922,etc

Video on YouTube will show op how to do that.

Since we KNOW valve body connections are broken, I would expect a TCM message not received.

Anyway,once he sees how to do that on YouTube, I am sure he will post back

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So to be extra precise,

Op needs to go to YouTube, type Dodge Ram no bus. Should find verda valley auto electric.

Then we should not judge how dirty the inside of his truck is, do the trip button key trick, then post what he sees.

I watched the video and minute mark 4:27, he needs to back probe so see that 5v I was talking about earlier in this thread

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
He specifically says that orange wire is for shift solenoid package.

I really hope he gets back to us. I proposed to swap the entire package, not hard to do. And relatively cheap.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I realize op is a newbie so I would not hold it against him if he doesn't post back.

However I did want to show that if you really want to, the information is out there.

I also realized a long time ago that diagnosis of electrical problems is quite difficult online without physical access to vehicle.

Btw, plz don't pierce the wires that way. There are way better ways of back probing such as using a sewing needle etc

Up here in the rusted north, the method of piercing wires like that is a HUGE no no. Begging for problems down the road. Salt loves copper

Ok nuff said