no crank no start 07 hyundai entourage

jjames1978

MAKE: Hyundai
MODEL: Entourage
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 220000
ENGINE
: 3.1 V6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....My 2007 Hyundai Entourage 3.1 V6 GLS has been through a lot of changes. Now it won't start. This problem has happened a couple times and after a few minutes or so it would start. Well, now it has been a couple hours and still no start. I've been researching the problem and think it may be the starter but, I have seen a youtube video of some IPM thing having to be jumped?? also, have seen that it may just be a relay. Any help would be appreciated!!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do you have an electrical multi-meter?

jd

I believe KIA is wired similar so...
See if this thread helps...
http://www.batauto.com/threads/2007-kia-sedona-starter-intermittent.12786/#post-82983
This soccer mom's car had a lot of start cycles in its 88,000 miles. Kids to school, to activities, to church, to markets, etc. etc. The troubleshooting idea was to run a test wire from the cranking terminal of the starter solenoid so it could be touched to the battery positive when the key was turned but starter wouldn't respond. Bypass the key switch, start relay, go right to the terminal that needs to be energized. Owner didn't want to continue tinkering so took it to a local shop. Shop cranked it so many times they damaged the ring gear. Then they took it to Kia dealer. Turned out 1. the wiring harness to and including the fuse panel under the hood near the master cylinder had known problems and was replaced along with the relay. 2. the ignition switch was worn out, and 3. of course the transaxle had to come out and replace the ring gear. Fortunately they did the ring gear...under warranty! I'd thought the starter wasn't replaced in all this, but she just said it was, too.
I couldn't even get to the connection at the starter, so the plan we had was to energize Terminal #87 on that starter relay in the underhood fuse panel.
Again, see if any of this makes sense and helps. I've messaged her asking for more info.
Please post the YouTube link and I'll go see what they were doing.

Mobile Dan

wrench
When you turn the key, does the starter/engine go "crank, crank, crank"? Or starter go "click", or maybe click rapidly?

jd

I hope this thread doesn't turn out to be "ring and run" but we haven't heard back from OP. I checked on the KIA I'd investigated and they also ended up replacing the starter itself. THAT begs the question of whether all the Wiring, Relay, Key Switch go-round was ever part of the problem. That suggests it remains best to wire a bypass to the 87 terminal of the relay and apply power to it when the starter isn't actually working. BTW - easier things to do than put a starter on KIA V6 - I haven't seen Hyundai so can't say if the job is similar. Far's this goes... Case Pends...

saltydog

MAKE: Hyundai
MODEL: Entourage
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 220000
ENGINE
: 3.1 V6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....My 2007 Hyundai Entourage 3.1 V6 GLS has been through a lot of changes. Now it won't start. This problem has happened a couple times and after a few minutes or so it would start. Well, now it has been a couple hours and still no start. I've been researching the problem and think it may be the starter but, I have seen a youtube video of some IPM thing having to be jumped?? also, have seen that it may just be a relay. Any help would be appreciated!!
The above post has a lot of age on it and I have a similar problem. With a lot of assistance from a couple of Scots I have located a you tube video of a fix and a copy of the TSB, Technical Service Bulletin ?,. Seems to be a problem with high mileage Hundais with something called the IPM Module. Thing is, there seems to be no IPM Modules available. Neither new OEM or Used, read salvage, seem to be available.

If someone out there has a source for IPM Modules please advise where they are to be found.

Thanks
salty.