No heat in cabin

billr

wrench
Staff member
The actuator is fine. I functionally bench-tested it using a 5K pot; the actuator output shaft tracks my turning of this pot nicely.

I'm really getting afraid that this is going to turn out to be just the knob on the dash. If it has a broken hub and simply isn't turning the pot on the dash, all this hacking and dis-assembly will have been a classic mistake.

I'm imagining a pretty direct connection between knob and pot. Does it "feel funny"?

This sure is an old thread, Ford had a recall around the late 90's using the wrong kind of plastic or whatever to manufacture their blend door and to make matters worse, used that crazy evaporator box that contained this unworking blend door. To do this job correctly, evaporator box had to be removed, recovering stupid moisture absorbing R-134a first with an EPA fine of $25,000.00 if caught releasing it into the atmosphere.

Blend door adjusts the amount of air going through the evaporator or the heater core, unlike the older systems where a heater coolant valve controlled the amount of heat you would get that was very slow in responding. Blend door is almost instantaneous.

Heater core now is very much a part of the engine cooling system, if you plug the heater core hose, may crack an aluminum head, call this an improvement?

Had a problem with a GM blend door, but I could angle out the right side of the dash just disconnecting the cables from that side. Idiots at GM had a self adhesive piece of foam on the blend door that with 200*F heat dried out the adhesive and fell off. Nothing wrong with the foam, just glued it back on, but cut a smaller piece of aluminum so the foam could still make contact when closed and riveted it on. Lasted way over 120K miles.

Just tiny increments of adjusting that door makes a huge difference in cabin temperature, do not feel cutting a hole in that plastic box to jam a rag or whatever in there to keep that door closed or wide open.

BS like this caused me to look across the pond for vehicles. Also made negative comments about new kid engineers, didn't have enough brains to replace a burnt out light bulb without running a simulation program first. Also not knowing to check the warping characteristics of plastics.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Dan, this isn't my vehicle and it hasn't been around for the last few days. I'll check that knob out next chance, for sure.

NickD, did you catch that this is not a bad door? Agreed, there seems to be a chronic problem with those doors; to the extent that "the door" predominates all discussion about a no-heat problem... So, I attacked the door area "assuming" it had to be a bad door. That's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it!

Been watching airline crashes on youtube with the reasons given why, thousands were killed, mostly due to poor maintenance. That Ford recall was 20 years ago on the warped blend door, would have thought it would have been done a long time ago.

Happens, not necessarily engineers fault, purchasing always after the lowest price, and they sure can get this from the Chinese and they claim their quality is excellent. But apparently nobody checks on it, costs a fortune for recalls.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Time to confess... it was just a bad knob! I pressed a steel "girdle" around the cranked hub; the rest was just more experience down the rabbit-hole.