Mealticket

Make
Chrysler
Model
PT Cruiser
Year
Miles
Engine
Hey all - 2004 PT Cruiser, airbag light on, and the following from the scanner. My scanner is not showing code numbers, just descriptions:

ORC output circuit
Power stage not tested
No IFR Message

I know many things can trigger the airbag light, ie, seatbelt wires, clockspring, etc. My horn works so doubt it's the clockspring. Can't find anything about IFR in the factory shop manual. Could it stand for right frontal impact sensor? Any help is appreciated,

MT

billr

wrench
Staff member
Generally, the policy here at <batauto> is to not get into airbag repair. Somebody may offer some suggestions anyway, but don't count on it.

Mobile Dan

wrench
So words like "No IFR Message" are the words that the software engineer chose the have your scanner display in response to the "code" that the scanner read. What is the brand and model number of the scanner? The scanner manual may offer more detail.

Mealticket

Mobile Dan - the scanner is a Launch CReader CRP123. I don't see anything in the manual about that message. Anyway, I'll find this problem and fix it. The way I see it, this is no different from any other issue, and it's fixable. The only decision left is if there's any point in posting up the resolution, given the sites' policies.

MT

Mobile Dan

wrench
If you look in the HELP section on that scanner and scroll down to a menu choice called ABBREVIATION, you may find an expanded description that is helpful. Did you look at that?

Mealticket

Mobile Dan - no, it's not shown in the abbreviations on the tool, and I've reached out to Launch tech support and not gotten a response. That is unusual, as they have always responded right away. So they must have a policy about this kind of inquiry. I will have to break out the ohmmeter and start looking for opens. I do plan to take a close look at the pass side impact sensor and the wiring between there and the module. I think IFR may be RFI backwards. RFI obviously would be misleading. Thanks,

MT

Mobile Dan

wrench
Stuff about Chrysler communication between modules...sorry, the copy/paste got scrambled.
When two modules are transmitting simul-taneously on the bus, there must be some form of arbitration to determine which module will gain con-trol. A data collision occurs when two modules are transmitting different messages at the same time. When a module is transmitting on the bus, it is read-ing the bus at the same time to ensure message integrity. When a collision is detected, the module that transmitted the one bit stops sending messages over the bus until the bus becomes idle. Each module is capable of transmitting and receiv-ing data simultaneously. The typical PCI bus message has the following four components:
1. Message Header- One to three bytes in length. The header contains information identifying the message type and length, message priority, target module(s) and sending module.

2. Data Byte(s)- This is the actual message that is being sent.

3. Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) Byte- This byte is used to detect errors during a message transmission.

4. In Frame Response (IFR) -If a response is required from the target module(s), it can be sent during this frame. This function is described in greater detail in the following paragraph. The IFR consists of one or more bytes, which are transmitted during a message. If the sending module requires information to be received immediately, the target module(s) can send data over the bus during the original message. This allows the sending module to receive time-critical information without having to wait for the target module to access the bus. After the IFR is received, the sending module broadcasts an End of Frame (EOF) message and releases control of the bus.The PCI data bus can be monitored using theDRBIIIt scan tool. It is possible, however, for the bus to pass all DRBIIIt tests and still be faulty if the voltage parameters are all within the specified range and false messages are being sent.

Last edited:

Mobile Dan

wrench
The airbag indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when the airbag system, or a circuit or component of the system is ineffective. The airbag indicator is controlled by a transistor on the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received by the cluster from the ...Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC)... over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.

Mealticket

Oh wow...thanks Mobile Dan. That saved me going down some rabbit holes. Obviously I looked in the wrong place in the manual. Oh boy, Mopar data bus...anyway, let's get really basic since I don't have any of the equipment that would be useful here:

1) Is there a chance that these codes set and the light went on due to an anomaly?
2) If so, how on earth do I clear it out so I can see if it comes back?

Thanks,

MT

Mobile Dan

wrench
So your scanner cannot clear the codes? If not, you could try removing an associated fuse or disconnnecting a battery cable. That's pretty safe stuff...make sure the key is turned off.

Mealticket

My scanner shows the ability to clear, I follow the steps, but they don't clear. I tried disconnecting the battery and that didn't do it either,

MT

Mobile Dan

wrench
When you try to clear codes with scanner is key ON, but engine not running?

You could also try this...
How to Reset an Airbag Light

1. Put the key into the ignition and turn the switch to the "on" position.
  2. Watch for the airbag light to turn on. It will stay illuminated for seven seconds and then shut itself off. After it shuts off, immediately turn the switch off and wait three seconds.
  3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 two more times.
The airbag/seatbelt system is top tier priority and gets tested immediately after every start. So, if a problem is current, warning light may come on for "bulb check" and never go off.

Last edited:

Mealticket

Mobile Dan - yes, I did the clear procedure with KOEO. I will definitely try the key thing, but it probably won't be until Mon/Tue. I will post up results. Thanks for the guidance,

MT

Mealticket

Mobile Dan - I was able to try the key thing today. The airbag light does not go out after 7 seconds, or at all. KOEO, it just stays on,

MT

Mobile Dan

wrench
OK...I have nothing else to offer that doesn't involve "poking the bear". Those are communication codes, which point towards lack of communication due to power, ground, data wires, internal module failure or a software issue.