'No IFR Message' and Other Assorted Airbag DTCs '04 PT Cruiser

Mealticket

Okay, I'll get after it with an ohmmeter, etc,

MT

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
this is also a safe spot to try to know if you are having a top tier module communication problem.

On DLC connector, probe the 6 and 14 pins, you should see about 60ohms.

Key off and in your pocket. This is called gateway terminal resistance.

Btw, @ mobile dan, that was some good info.

Here is a cool site to understand this often overlooked easy check for communication issues.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
And here, I might sound condescending or a bit of an air bag, but my understanding of the cr creader cr 123 is that it DOES NOT support this functionality for sub 2006 models.

Your model car is a 2004 yes.

So to not go further into weeds as a very astute man here, Billr will state, plz make sure you have a scanner that can read the protocal.

If your scanner slash code reader doesnt do these protocals, it useless on a 2004

point blank.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is not my writing, just a copy paste.

The Bottom Line

Both scanners are good, and you will get real value for money regardless of the one you choose.

But remember, while the Launch CRP129 covers almost all OBD2 vehicles, the Launch CRP123 only supports those made in 2006 and later. Don’t choose the latter mistakenly if your car isn’t compatible.

In terms of functionality, you will get almost the same features. But the Launch CRP129 has a few more advantages than the Launch CRP123, which is cheaper.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
so before I go in depth here, we must ascertain that your code reader slash scanner is in fact compatible.

So, in a nutshell, hope I was not to condescending on your scanner. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
and here is my usual disclaimer.

Providing airbag info is frowned upon here because of liability issues I am sure of.

The squib network is resistance based.

It doesnt take much to set off a 2004 airbag.

So, remember, before probing any circuits, make sure the battery has been disconnected for at least 10minutes to remove any residual.

Cuz I actually saw a deployment on a 2004 chysler concorde. Dudes face was pretty mashed up, to say the least.

I was a tech for mopar back then, from 1998 I think to 2005. Major recalls back then for squibs on minivans. Since the PT cruiser was not a hot seller as much as the caravans, mopar didnt include those. But trust, its the same controller. ;)

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
ok, I am out of this discussion, hope I didnt confuse any issues, I will check in here again once I actually see that code reader scan AND CLEAR a srs code.

I am most confident in ppls efforts, but my understanding is the op does NOT have the right tool to do this work.

But I have been surprised here before. Lets hope this time, it is the case. May the force be with you, good morning or good night depending.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
oh btw I am french so sometimes, I may write english wrong or misunderstand so I may have read wrong 2006 and later. Does that mean 2006 an older, or does that mean 2006 and up cuz that is not clear in my head.

Hope someone here corrects me.

;):fixed:

Mealticket

Thank you for all of this feeback, Nickb2. No worries; no way you sound condescending; I'll be first to admit that I'm mostly clueless on data bus stuff, although that 60 ohm thing does remind me that I believe that that test was the final piece of info telling me that my brother's '98 Caravan had a bad BCM. Again, I had none of the recommended tools for that job, and still nailed it with a basic multimeter. It didn't happen overnight...Re: CRP123, this was my first and still only OBDII scanner, bought in 2015 based on recommend from my friend the stud mechanic who had it in his collection. I am not averse to looking at other scanners, if they are good value for how I roll. I buy strategically when possible.

Yes, I will disconnect the battery for sure. I will look closely at the driver's seatbelt wiring, as this has 206K miles on it. As long as I keep the airbags from deploying I don't see why I can't search for opens the usual way. There's only so many wires, even on an airbag system. If push comes to shove, I have no issue getting another controller in there.

MT

Mealticket

Pins 6 & 14 on the DLC on this vehicle are not populated, so testing there won't work,

MT

Mealticket

So using the factory service manual, I only see 1 SCI connection to the ORC, and no CAN bus. It goes to the warning light at the cluster, and then winds up at pin 2 of the DLC. I think I'll test for continuity between the cluster and the connector at the ORC. I removed the center console to expose the ORC, and there is a static ground under a bolt, so I'll clean that up. Also the radio is on the SCI bus, and I'll probably unplug that to see if changes anything.

MT

Mealticket

Yes, and I misspoke earlier; according to the FSM, it's a PCI bus, not SCI.

More fun today; disconnected the radio to remove that from the bus, and I got a tranny PCI code stored...considering my next move. I may spring for that CRP129, if it might help me move forward,

MT