no oil from right (passenger) side rockers during oil priming after rebuild

big al

sbc 350, finished rebuild, trying to prime the oil system like i normally do- oil flows good to left (driver) side rockers and cam but nothing comes from the right (passenger) side rockers, everything was cleaned and i have removed the galley plugs and double checked, even double checked the pushrods and lifter s for flow with compressed air , i havent had this problem before usually get good flow from both i am running a drill and a screw in gauge at the sender an get 45 psi on the gauge, book says i shoud get 40 or above at 2000 rpm can anyone help with this one???????????

Can this problem caused by having the cam bearings installed improperly, blocking flow to heads?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think the oil through the push-rods comes from the lifters, but I don't know if the lifters on that side are supplied oil via the cam bearings. Unfortunately, that seems like a possibility. If you are sure all the block oil passages are clear, then what else? Some of the old BBC engines had grooved rear cam journals (the cam surface) that was used that way. I wish I was at home, could look in my Chevy reference info for you.

jasonn20

I am not sure how long you have already primed so I'd say keep priming it until there is a certainty that there is a problem. If all the right bank rockers are getting good flow and the left bank is not getting any after 15-20minutes of priming then I'd say there is a problem. Keep priming !!!

big al

ive got probly 50-60 minutes on it , tore evrything down and checked , crank is getting oil evrything is aligned and correct, cam bearing are aligned and correct also the cam bearing galley has real good pressure oil flows from Left bank rockers almost insantly ,whene it was tore down i double checked passages with air, all ok and open ,i have always used this method on all my motors including some race motors an havent had this happen before, have even tried rotating the motor then reprime. According to the internet reports (melling) hvhp pumps sometimes do this until started, i am using an old HEI dist with the cam gear ground off and top removed for fitment into a drill, some people have also said i wont get pressure on right side because oil will splash up shaft isnstead o being forced in right galley, i am getting alot of splash up the shaft i guess

Have you seen this info?

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192284/

I also read that lifters may only flow oil to pushrods when engine is running (or maybe cranking,also), but that doesn't correlate with "only one side oiling". I'm going to assume that all your lifters are of matching design.

big al

Yes all the lifters are the same and from Comp Cams, i picked up another priming tool that is supposed replicate the dist where it enters the block not the intake, it worked better than the inside dist shaft i was using, but still had too much slop/play. so then modified an original HEI housing and no slop finally got oil up where it is supposed to be. I have always just used an inside shaft from an HEI unit and never had problems, i guess this was a stubborn one, but with the modified original HEI housing and modified shaft i was able to label it fixed, oil from all rockers and didnt even have to turn it over, now its time for the dyno shop - break in- and HP testing. fixed