Saturn
Model
Ion
Year
Miles
Engine
?
Hi guys.
Looking at a car for my daughter in law. Lady who is selling it had lost the key, and had a mobile key shop come to her house. In the process of cutting and trying the key, the guy somehow got the key stuck in the ignition. Apparently he did not appear very knowledgeable as he was in the phone with someone for quite some time walking him thru what he needed to do, and apparently he had to take the entire steering cover assembly apart. After he got everything done and put back together, the next time she went out there was no power steering, and the “pwr str” is showing on the odometer.
Everything I’ve looked at so far points to the power steering assist motor, which looks like an easy fix.

My question is, anyone have any thoughts as to what this mobile locksmith might have done to knock the motor offline? Obviously I can’t be doing a ton of diagnostics as I don’t own the car, or tearing the column apart to search for issues. I’m just wondering if the harness got yanked and a wire came loose, or possibly something got shorted and blew a fuse. She’s asking $900 for the car, but I’m thinking she will go lower...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Generally, I hate to turn folks away from this site (batauto). However, our goal here is to help in the best way possible; so I suggest you post on the "Ion" forum of this site: <saturnfans.com>

Somebody here may be able to answer all your questions, but that Saturn-specific site will also be a good source.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Check to fuses, and hope that you find a bad one. That is as far as I would go. An ION with 200K miles is not a car I would want to own if I had to pay more than a few hundred dollars. Saturn SL series were much better cars.

abrad

Thanks guys, I appreciate both thoughts. That’s why I come here to post questions. Never dealt with saturns, and am clueless as to this type of setup, although if it is just that steering motor, it looks like a simple fix...