Make
Dodge
Model
Stealth
Year
Miles
Engine
Dohc twin turbo
1993 dodge stealth rt/tt car cranks but no start. I have fuel,spark. Replaced cam sensor and now no start

Stirling

Well, I replaced the cam sensor. It was only firing in one coil pack. Now it just cranks.

grcauto

wrench
Well if you are looking for advise we need to start somewhere.
So....We have a no start?

Stirling

Well if you are looking for advise we need to start somewhere.
So....We have a no start?
Correct, it doesn’t start now at all. Sorry this is my first time using this. I didn’t mean to put fixed

billr

wrench
Staff member
No codes set? Take compression readings and check plugs, try a quick blast of starting-fluid. If no fire with the starting fluid, disable fueling (pull injector and fuel pump fuses), pull the plugs and let everything sit for an hour to dry out, then re-install plugs and try again with the starting-fluid (fuel still disabled).

Still no firing at all with the starting-fluid? Then check spark timing with a timing light. A simple (non dial-back) light is best, and checking on more than one cylinder is wise, too. Spark timing should be very near TDC when cranking

What do you mean by "have fuel"? Does that mean you have some in the tank, or fuel pressure has been checked with a gauge and injectors are all pulsing and live-data has been used check commanded injector PW?

Stirling

No codes set? Take compression readings and check plugs, try a quick blast of starting-fluid. If no fire with the starting fluid, disable fueling (pull injector and fuel pump fuses), pull the plugs and let everything sit for an hour to dry out, then re-install plugs and try again with the starting-fluid (fuel still disabled).

Still no firing at all with the starting-fluid? Then check spark timing with a timing light. A simple (non dial-back) light is best, and checking on more than one cylinder is wise, too. Spark timing should be very near TDC when cranking

What do you mean by "have fuel"? Does that mean you have some in the tank, or fuel pressure has been checked with a gauge and injectors are all pulsing and live-data has been used check commanded injector PW?
No there is no code and no cel. I put new plugs in. I haven’t tried the starting fluid yet. I have some but wasn’t sure on it. I’ll try pulling the fuses. I’ll also try the light with tdc. I put a new fuel pump and hat in when I replaced the water pump. I pulled the rail to see if I had fuel pressure. I don’t have a gauge.

Stirling

Also, should I have put number 1 cylinder on tdc before putting the cam sensor on and trying to start it. Because I didn’t do that.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Does this engine have COP (individual coil for each cylinder)? If not, the cam sensor is probably irrelevant; the engine should fire and run even if the CMP sensing circuit is inop. Generally, you don't have to have the crank in any particular position to R & R either the CKP or CMP sensor.

Oops, I just noted above that this is probably an "Optispark" system, I have to refresh my memory on that...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, the Optispark has a rather weird decoding scheme. Although it is not COP, it is unclear to me whether it will run with an inop CMP signal. I still think crank position is irrelevant for sensor R & R.