Make
Nissan
Model
Titan
Year
Miles
Engine
5.6 liter
No start when turning key. No crank. Intermittent problem. Battery replaced ( with larger 850 CCA).
Terminals tight and clean
Ignition Key needs to be turned to start 4+ times before any starter system response, no click.
Happens maybe on one out six times starting truck.

I am only seeing 4.0 and 4.7 as engine options for 2005 Tundra. Straighten me out...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Whatever it is, go down to the starter/solenoid and make some voltage measurements. I always put one meter lead on the starter housing itself, not some handy part of the engine/chassis. There should be a small wire on the solenoid that gets energized when trying to crank, begin there. If it doesn't get 12V when the key is turned, then you go back up into the switch/relay/safety/theft morass. If you do get 12V, then it is probably a bad starter; but check voltage at the big power/ground cables to confirm.

Nobody to help you by turning the key while you are under there with the meter? Then attach a temporary wire to that small terminal and touch it to 12V, see if the engine cranks. If it does, then the starter must be OK. Or, make up some long leads for the meter. No excuses for not using a meter and just throwing parts at it!

grcauto

Ignition switch is easy enough to check when it happens. More than a little chance it could be the culprit.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Nobody to help you by turning the key while you are under there with the meter? Then attach a temporary wire to that small terminal and touch it to 12V, see if the engine cranks. If it does, then the starter must be OK. Or, make up some long leads for the meter. No excuses for not using a meter and just throwing parts at it!
;):bat:

Old school sometimes works
:cool:

Nissan's were okay, had Ford's and GM's with corroded bare copper ignition terminals, EPA banned electroplating in the US. copper would turn brown, copper oxide, darn good insulator. Could take the switches apart and polish them and good for awhile.

Sounds like playing with the ignition switch gets you going again.

AT? So called neutral safety switch with dirty contacts, some vehicles, N would work when P didn't. More problems with poor AT solenoid valve contacts.

30's vehicles had a foot switch, jam two copper bars together to make direct contact, none of that anti-thief stuff. If that didn't work, had a hand crank to start the engine. You were suppose to have enough brains to keep your transmission in neutral, if not, engine would start and run you over.

Wasn't good to purchase a new ignition switch that sat on the shelve for 15 years, its contacts would be corroded.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
I am only seeing 4.0 and 4.7 as engine options for 2005 Tundra. Straighten me out...
MY Mistake It is a 2005 Nissan TITAN. It is a neighbor/customers truck. We barter work, and some great ethnic food (will work for good food :)) and I do ride in this truck so I don't want to get stranded . I am the neighborhood fixit man.

System DescriptionEKS00A8GPower is supplied at all times:●through 40A fusible link (letterm, located in the fuse and fusible link box)●to ignition switch terminal B.With the ignition switch in the START position, power is supplied:●from ignition switch terminal ST●to IPDM E/R terminal 21.With the ignition switch in the ON or START position, power is supplied to IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribu-tion module engine room) CPU.With the selector lever in the P or N position, power is supplied:●through A/T assembly terminal 9●to IPDM E/R terminal 48.Ground is supplied at all times:●to IPDM E/R terminals 38 and 59●through body grounds E9, E15 and E24.Then the starter relay is turned on.The IPDM E/R is energized and power is supplied:●from terminal 19 of the IPDM E/R●to terminal 1 of the starter motor windings.The starter motor plunger closes and provides a closed circuit between the battery and the starter motor. Thestarter motor is grounded to the cylinder block. With power and ground supplied, the starter motor operates.
A very complex circuit. Starter is hard to gain access to on top of engine, underneath intake manifold. I recommend to begin testing at starter relay (wherever that is...)