Non running leaf blower

eddieguy

My broher was going to throw out his leaf blower but i took it instead to see if i could figure it out. I can post ba k about brand and model if needeed. I put my spark detector on it and it does give a flicker of light with about the first four pulls but wont show any light with more pulls. If i walk away for a minute and come back it will behave with same exact result. What could cause this pattern? Could the pug be fouling out? I have not taken apart yet. Will not run at all and i thiught i would check for spark first. My brother said plug was new and he owns a lawn service so i imagine he put right plug in

billr

wrench
Staff member
Hmm... the spark issue seems pretty obvious to me. After four pulls your arm gets tired and you can't pull it fast enough; need to rest for a while.

Seriously, though, I expect you are going to have to remove the flywheel and inspect the magneto stuff. If this is a really old beast, there may even be breaker points that are activated off a pin riding on a flat on the crank. That pin could be gummed-up and sticking in the "out" (points open) position and then slowly oozes back in after a few minutes.

Ignition coil is separate from the ignition module that we use to manufacture in the US before my company moved to China. Cost around a buck sixty seven, just a transistor embedded in expoxy. Son's father-in-law module went out, said dealer charged him 27 bucks for a new one, son did the labor in his cheap lawn mower.

Maybe his brother's module was made in China, but still getting robbed in the retail market and not getting quality.