OEM vs OES Timing Belt Part Quality

edge

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Toyota
MODEL: Camry
YEAR: 1999
MILES: 30,000
ENGINE
: 1mzfe
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Have you found differences in part quality between the OEM parts from the dealer vs the OES ( oe supplier) that makes the part under their own brand? I am not referring to retail parts store Aftermarket Parts , although OES are sold in the aftermarket. The OES parts are almost half the price, so the concern is if they are made to the same spec and materials -seals, bearings etc. Same question for a 1994 Mitsubish 3000gt, 86 K miles, 6g72 engine.

Last edited:
That's a tough question. I have NO facts.

Some seem inferior, some the same, and some better in my experience.

jd

Few timing belts I changed on Toyota were a couple Tercels. For those, I was able to get OEM at a good price through a neighbor. Otherwise, I'd go with Gates, Dayco, NAPA and not one that was clearly cut rate. Used Gates on a 2.0 Mitsubishi (Mighty Max pickup) with no problems. I've found cheapie V-Belts don't hold up under demanding uses (like old two-cylinder A/C compressors, and high amp alternators with small pulleys). I don't know if timing belts follow that pattern. Wouldn't take the chance.
Timing Belt is too much labor and too much downside failure to skimp on. You have only 30,000 miles on the Camry. If miles on those are high, it's good to replace the water pump while you're in there.
If OES really is OE under another name, you should be good, but I have Zero Experience, Zero Reports, with or on OES. Line from Dirty Harry: "Do you feel lucky?"

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As for water pumps for toyota's, I always go original. But the gate timing belt kits are really good and should last for a 100,000km's. I have used the gates kits with water pump and had NO COMEBACKS but they were last mileage cars.

I have done thousands of timing belts on all makes of cars and a OEM belt or a gates or a NAPA belt never really made a difference. But OEM water pumps for these cars are a primordial. Toyota's leak from there and when spending money for belt R/R, go for the idlers and bearing and belt from gates or similar and use OEM WP.

Parkman

I have read on Amazon where people said they had gates belt kits with Chinese water pumps that started leaking at 6000 miles and some other guy said his water pump made so much noise he had to replace it. Iam under the same dilemma with a 2010 Subaru I need to change these parts. Some guys said they would use the kits but buy O.E.M water pump.

Any part made in the USA these days ? Open the box only to discover it WAS made outside the US.

I can not answer your question. Some foreign parts are superior, some are not.

Good luck finding quality in most anything these days, US or abroad. Sorry.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hmm, this is an old thread revived and even wondered if I should respond.

Parkman revived it. Yes, a gates kit is a very viable option. But I think I said this before. OEM is the best way to go, unless you know a good local business that will rebuild the water pump with new shaft seals and bearing.

Here is an example of what you can find with COMPETENT ppl to do a good rebuild.

http://water-pump-rebuilders.com/

I use my good buddy up in quebec city so I don't think I will reference him since I assume you are from the states.

If you don't like the gates full timing kit, just buy the standard T kit and get the original rebuilt.

After all, it is just a housing. Unless acidity ate away at the mounting surface, it's easy as pie to get a pro to get a good rebuild.

@Parkman, I do not know were you live. But check your local resources. There are still good ppl that work with a good work ethic.

Parkman

I have had good luck with a NAPA belt on my tercel, think it was a cardone, the first pump, don't remember the name now but it didn't last 10,000 miles. Also I think the Aisin pumps are from Japan, which I hope that makes them better than the Chinese.

lawnman186

I would stick to a OEM timing belt kit from worldpac or IMC I would stick with japanese brand name kit such as asian kit ask worldpac what they recommend or check speed dial catalog on line

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, insomniac as usual, and I agree with the IMC kits. They rarely comeback. It's my b day and I didn't get my special gift. So the plumber came by, he saw my tools, and I said purge all the radiators. I hate being right sometimes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now I feel like a kid. But must agree with the aisian kits. I have had so much success with those. Continental also makes a great kit. I don't see those come back often. My special gift was supposed to be a b job. No joy. and my GF is hiding the rest and I know it. Probably not supposed to say that here, but I don't care.

So I know I will now have to make my own food. Haha. Just another day in paradise.

Here is a link to the Continental kits. German made I think mostly. I like the pro series, they have a great t belt. http://www.carid.com/continental-contitech/pro-series-timing-belt-kit.html What I like about those kits, everything is spot on. Once with a walmart kit/ canadian tire kit, the tensioner blew a cam.

The client was not a happy camper, and nor was I.

I am just saying this for this old thread. There are good options out there. Disregard what I am just going to write. But the contitec belts, when they go, you just have to look at the client and say, what?? A buddy and I at the shop tried to saw one of those after a t belt failure. They are freakin sturdy. Then you ask for the maintenance schedule of the car, bizarre, client seems to have lost his voice at that point.:confused:

Last edited: