Oh, this is going to be a doozy

billr

wrench
Staff member
If you are thinking of biting on that Microchip CAN link, I sure recommend you go to the trouble of installing whatever "demo" software and examples they offer.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Is the TCM immersed in ATF, does it live inside the transmission?
Does something start to work only after voltage has been applied for a while? Try turning the key on for 30 seconds or a minute before cranking the starter. Maybe a bad module only works after "a warmup".
No spark? No fuel? Neither?
During failed condition, check lots of inputs and live data...RPM? Temperature? Throttle? Gearshift position? Headlamp switch? Look for things that should be working when key is on, even if the engine is not running.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Hmm, I don't know whether I am amusing you guys, watching me "stumble in the weeds", or if I am annoying you by seeming to nit-pick about hentek vs Hantek; but...

What does hentek/Hantek have to do with the recent discussion of the Microchip CAN link? Are you suggesting the Microchip product is "re-badged" Hantek hardware? If so which Hantek device?

I already admitted that I didn't study the Microchip link thoroughly, but it seems like that device is a link from CAN to PC, like an ELM327; nothing to do with scopes. If I had to guess, I would say the unique feature of the Microchip is that they offer (give?) SW to use with the HW; a complete package.

NickD

wrench
Was just a lowly engineer, marketing guys bragging about their Mercedes Benz"s were paying around 700 bucks each month and this was just for general service and back in the 80's, with inflation, that price would be doubled today.

Rode with one in Las Vegas, temperature was 110*F, air conditioners in these things were positively worthless, but it is a Mercedes Benz.

Not sure if their service improved, back then was 3-4 months wait for any part also with a stiff tariff on it. Not sure how these guys could brag while being screwed to death, but typical of marketing.

Constant argument about who gets the money. Prices of products are generally fixed with competition, Marketing wanted a larger piece of the pie for advertising, engineering for quality

Have fun with your Mercedes, microchips was the first thing kicked out of the USA by the newly formed EPA and when they left, so did the quality. Marketing also learned there was no difference in the quality between consumer and automotive temperature operation, but for automotive, cost a few cents more for extra testing for the extended temperature range. To save those few cents, just ordered consumer grade, would make more money this way, because most would pass, just a few with warranty charges. Its all about making money.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
No not at all bill we are not messing with you, and yes, I was referring to the very real possibility it has alot of inards that are used by hantek. As you say, possibly rebadged tech. Kind of like a samsung tv using emerson inards. A way to lower cost if you will while duping the consumer they are buying a higher end unit, when in fact, the tech is the same. But you know all this stuff anyway. ;)

Basically same chipsets and software and hardware and that shows by the design of the units. But a dead giveaways, is when you see the cables, adapters, and oh yes, the software. The sw is quite lack luster and and takes a while to figure out. Where as some of the higher end stuff like the pico stuff, more forgiving for a beginner like me to understand and operate. Sample rates are also better, meaning the chips are probably not hantek distributed. All this is not based on actual knowledge, just a hunch as I have used several such units in other applications, you tend to recognize the tech.

I have used hantek, and even my autel scanner is hantek based. They are everywhere.

I am also not saying that is essentially a bad thing. It was just a comment, a thought.

But at the price point of the microchip CAN unit, for what it does, would be usefull as it is not really designed to be a high end unit anyway. Just a datalogger for CAN type com L and H etc.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But sadly, update is, mercedes is gone to dealer. Our other lead tech left us last week for better pastures I hope, but has left me with the whole brunt of the diagnostic portion, and my boss felt this one was taking up too much of my time. So we sent client off to dealer.

Sorry guys, wont be getting a fixed out of this one. But I do suspect it was the gateway module on left hand foot weel, just didnt have time to confirm that.

So this thread in all essence is useless to update for this particular GLK, unless we use it to discuss tooling options for this type of failure, which I would sure like to participate in.

Anyway, good night all.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sadly, that leaves me distracted a bit cuz now I have to focus more on the meat and potatoes of the diagnostic work, cuz we are a real busy shop. Loosing our real good young tech to above said better pastures leaves me floating around helping the other guys who dont have as much knowledge and or skill as that young buck, so boss, and appropriate so, said we need to focus on volume now and sadly steer customers away if some jobs are too complex and time consuming cuz winter is here, and they really need me to focus on the no starts, basic electrical issues to get the clients out of the bay quick.

As the music industry says, the show must go on. So, in that regards, so does the shop. So if refusing a client like this one hurts, keeoping at it would have financial repercussions since we are a man down in the electric dept, and no help near in sight. There is a huge demand, but no skilled workers to take the brunt.

So if we are turning other paying customers away cuz I am stuck on a mercedes that is not paying much in volume, the time spent is not actually making money since I am the only one left that somewhat, and I repeat the word, somewhat, knows what he is doing and also knows what is at stake. And that word is profit.

Anyway, I dont run the company, but I sure do get the logic.

Last edited:

jigfeett

Thanks Nick, it would have been nice to know the final result and fix. It might have been just a software update or like you say a defective mod.
As always you are a true asset to this board.