Oil in intake manifold

GM Guy

Make
Olds
Model
Year
Miles
Engine
I replaced all intake manifold gaskets (Fel-pro) and the upper intake plenum(Dorman, I think) about 65k mi ago, when I bought the car for a to/from work car.
The car has always used some oil, but has started to use more than 1 qt/1000mi.
Last summer I had to replace the MAF sensor and while doing so, I looked into the intake and saw oil standing in the intake.(I removed the throttle body to replace the MAF sensor.)
At the sight of this I remembered that the old intake had oil in it also, but it was leaking oil and coolant externally.
My question is this; Is it normal to have oil in the intake of this engine?

grcauto

Is the PCV valve clogged open. You may b sucking oil throug there.

GM Guy

So, directly after grcauto's suggestion I removed the map sensor and pcv cover to inspect the pcv valve. I found that the o-ring had distortion and was not properly sealing around the pcv valve. I replaced all the components therein. After several re-visits to the pcv for the goofy map sensor seal and the stupid plastic cover, I am still in the observation mode to see if the oil consumption rate will change- I'm cautiously optimistic.

Used to like Oldsmobile's, maybe why GM quick making them, last one was a 1993 with bad valve seals that was mostly pouring engine oil into the combustion chamber, some would leak into the intake manifold. But most of it when first starting up, smoke out the exhaust pipe.

We replaced the valve seals with Fel-Pro at 60K, got rid of it with 220K with no further oil burning, used a quart about every 5K miles, was time to change it , before the Fel-Pros, quart every 500 miles. Are you getting smoke out the exhaust pipe when first starting cold?

Made the comment, Olds use to know how to make valve seals, but forgot.