Oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil

wolfsmane

That being said if you get a cheap kit in may not have the bolts and you will want to get them separate.
Just get the kit that has them.
IF it comes to that, I definitely will.

wolfsmane

What are the torque specs for the lower intake manifold? I am seeing mixed answers.

grcauto

wrench
I have the sequence if you need that but in Mitchell no specs on torque. They miss stuff.
I would call the Ford Service department and ask them. Most don't mind helping out.

wolfsmane

So, I need some advice from yall please. The reason I asked about the torque specs is, I found them online before asking yall and they were way off and I ended up breaking a bolt off in the intake manifold. It was the outer most bolt at the edge of the manifold closest to the thermostat.

I finally got time to go out today and take the manifold back off and of course the bolt is just below the surface of the hole and it broke with a jagged edge so I can't just drill it out.

I have seen YT videos of mechanics placing a nut over the broken bolt and welding through the nut and filling the nut up, letting it cool and then using a wrench on the nut to unloosen the broke bolt.

Problem is, I don't know anyone that can do that. I would have to tow the car to someone which would be pricey.

I CAN get my hands on a welder and attempt it myself, but, I have never used a welder before.

Also, the head appears to be aluminum. Can this even be done with aluminum heads? Am I creating a bigger problem than is worth it?

The car is just a beater, back and forth to work car, nothing worth spending a lot of money on. Should I just pull the head and take it to a machinist and let them get it out? Is it worth the risk of having broken head bolts and/or broken exhaust manifold bolts to even do that?

Thanks guys for any advice you can give. It is time to go have a beer or 3

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't try the welding bit, it is too tricky even for an experienced welder! Did it look easy in the video? Consider that magicians can make a live tiger appear out of "nowhere" with practice...

If the screw broke off in tension, from over-tightening, then it can probably be teased out with a small pick or screwdriver. Soak it with some penetrating oil, like PB Blaster, then see if you can wiggle the top of it pushing on the broken "head". Use a magnifier and bright light, as the wiggle may be very minor, hard to see. However, if it will wiggle any at all, then it can probably be worked out with some patience. You use the pick to push the screw sideways as well as in the unscrew direction. Don't use WD-40, it is near-useless as a lube.

Even if the broken head is ragged, it should be possible to drill a hole in it. You just need to start with a small drill and keep tilting it as required to keep the start of the hole heading towards the center of the screw. You could even get a LH drill so that if it bites at all it will tend to unscrew that beast.

Lastly, there are folks that specialize in extracting broken screws "on-site". If you are near a fairly large city, there is probably one you could get a quote from.

PS: post a picture or two, we may be able to guess better if we can see what you have there.

grcauto

wrench
So, I need some advice from yall please. The reason I asked about the torque specs is, I found them online before asking yall and they were way off and I ended up breaking a bolt off in the intake manifold. It was the outer most bolt at the edge of the manifold closest to the thermostat.

I finally got time to go out today and take the manifold back off and of course the bolt is just below the surface of the hole and it broke with a jagged edge so I can't just drill it out.

I have seen YT videos of mechanics placing a nut over the broken bolt and welding through the nut and filling the nut up, letting it cool and then using a wrench on the nut to unloosen the broke bolt.

Problem is, I don't know anyone that can do that. I would have to tow the car to someone which would be pricey.

I CAN get my hands on a welder and attempt it myself, but, I have never used a welder before.

Also, the head appears to be aluminum. Can this even be done with aluminum heads? Am I creating a bigger problem than is worth it?

The car is just a beater, back and forth to work car, nothing worth spending a lot of money on. Should I just pull the head and take it to a machinist and let them get it out? Is it worth the risk of having broken head bolts and/or broken exhaust manifold bolts to even do that?

Thanks guys for any advice you can give. It is time to go have a beer or 3
How many foot lbs did you take that bolt?

wolfsmane

Bolt has medium thread locker on it. The drill bits I own are probably not good enough to bite into this bolt. Never been in a situation where I needed better drill bits.

The specs I found online said 5 ftlbs, 11 ftlbs and then 15 ftlbs. I made the 5 ftlbs and when attempting the 11 ftlbs is when she snapped. I called Ford and they said 44 in lbs and then 89 in lbs. Yes, I should have called them first, but they are usually difficult to get info from.

Using a pick doesn't seem to be doing anything. There is a small stub of the bolt sticking up, I need to go buy a small punch and see if I can gently persuade it to move. I will soak it in PB Blaster which I have.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
Since there is thread-lock there, heat the screw for several minutes with a propane/MAPP torch (air mix only, no oxygen supplement). Hold the flame right on the screw end, don't bother trying to heat the surrounding aluminum. Try using the punch to drive CCW while everything is still hot. If no joy with that, then try the PB after it all cools.

PS: pix are quite blurry, don't help much.

grcauto

wrench
No way that bolt should have broke with that little torque. You were torquing to low specs and the bolt breaks? Something here is not right.

wolfsmane

No way that bolt should have broke with that little torque. You were torquing to low specs and the bolt breaks? Something here is not right.
I am not sure what to say about this but it happened. It was one of the last bolts being torqued to the 11ft lbs.
I am an amateur, so obviously I screwed up somehow.

grcauto

wrench
I am not sure what to say about this but it happened. It was one of the last bolts being torqued to the 11ft lbs.
I am an amateur, so obviously I screwed up somehow.
11 ft lbs is no more than hand tight. That's when you just use the ratchet like it's a mini and don't use the handle.

grcauto

wrench
I was using a torque wrench. I guess that's where experience comes in.
If you have a good functioning torque wrench and it's a clicker I bet you didn't feel or hear it because it's such light pressure.