Oil pan removal required!? to replace timing chains on 2015 Toyota Sienna 2GR-FE?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Chains generally last a very long time, if the engine was designed well. I don't think you will regret leaving them as-is.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I was able to get the tensioner off, but only after I removed the alternator and the compressor. The alternator has a blind bolt, so it must be taken off by removing the bracket the blind bolt is attached to.
Ok early up, newbie has never done a starter on a honda crv,

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey everybody,

Thanks for your input. It has helped me a great deal which is why I turn to BatAuto when in doubt.

I have decided not to replace the chains because I don't think I will be able to get the mating surfaces of all the various parts as clean as they shall need to be with the engine still within the vehicle.

If I ask myself if I would pay the amount of the chains, guides and tensioners to NOT have an oil leak after this job I would say yes. Therefore, I am going to keep the factory seals and replace everything up to the timing cover that can wear out. This will have to be good enough.

Incidentally, the chain replacement was an idea I had to "tune" up the engine after a horrific first 100K miles from my wife. They are still good, I just thought to replace them because I would get that sense of satisfaction of a job well done. However, I've never encountered an engine with this complexity. Also, there are three chains, so the force distribution should keep them true for awhile longer.

If and when they become an issue, then I will be prepared to pull the engine. This is the first time I've "gone into" this vehicle's engine compartment, as we bought it brand new, so this experience has been valuable.

Thank you again for your support!
Have a 97 4runner with same design. Oil pump is built into the front cover and have to remove the pan to replace the oil pickup. I had all the chains and tensioners replaced at the same time. But Labor cheap here in Belize parts were 150 US labor for entire job 200 US

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Have a job in right now. A 2014 toyota corrola s model

This one is AT

CVT to be precise.

Object of pronlem lady hit what she thinks is ice. Well, no, you ate a divider.

So, had to pull apart engine in place.

Mucho endeavour, but it is doable if you studdy how it all goes back