oil reset

2004 mercury grand marquis

A msg "oil change required" scrolls in instrument cluster- how do I reset and program milage interval ?

It is prematurely displaying this msg - less than 3k miles

tia

To reset oil monitoring system, press setup to enter system check, then press serup control again to display oil life =XXX% hold reset if new.
Press and hold reset control for 2 seconds and realease. Oil life will be set to 100%.

Thats the shortened version from MOD. Basicly you put it in to system check and when it calls of oil life you tap the reset button, then push it in and hold it. When you tap it the first time it should ask you if you want to reset. If that doesn't work there are a couple of other procedures, but this is the one I do at work all the time.

Ford_Dude

Sure no standard means of doing this, older Fords required a paper clip straightened out you had to shove into an invisible hole before you switched on the ignition. On another car, have to hold down two buttons and hit a third three times in under two seconds. But all this is in owners manual, if you can find it with hundreds of added pages of safety information. That's providing, no one swiped it first.

Think if I changed my motor oil everyday, would recall that sequence for the next day.

Its not like they are basing oil changes on the turbidity of the oil or the acid content, based strictly on engine rpm changes, and totally time independent. But has to be reset as that flashing orange lamp is highly annoying.

They don't show anything on this thing for that year....I hate to ask, but are you sure it is a 2004 Grand Marquis....I even looked at the Crown Vic and I don't see anything for it...sorry Kev....Jim

ha ha I asked for vin and discovered its a 2006

2006, grand marquis LIMITED EDITION, msg is appearing instrument cluster

I knew it was not easy to find but now its a quest

[attachment deleted during maintenance]

That sounds better Kev...here you go....Jim........Message Center Configuration
Oil Life Reset

Press the SETUP button to display PRESS SELECT TO BEGIN SYSTEM CHECK
Press the SELECT button to display OIL LIFE - PRESS RESET IF NEW OIL.
Press and hold the RESET button to display OIL LIFE START VALUE SET TO XXX% is displayed. The oil life is now set to 100%.
Oil Life Start Value

Press the SETUP button until OIL LIFE START VALUE PRESS SELECT TO CHANGE is displayed.
Press and release the SELECT button until the desired start value is displayed.

Just playing around on the internet, see many places stating a free owners manual download, but after you get into the site, want anywhere from 3-30 bucks.

This is a three buck site.

http://www.tradebit.com/tagworld.php/2006+mercury+grand+marquis+owners+manual

For that owners manual, maybe if I looked long enough, would find one for free. Did that for a 2011 Cruze manual, wanted to see what I was in for first. They took off the head lamp switch off the directional signal lever and put that back in the dash where it use to be. And moved the cruise control to the steering wheel like Ford, but on the left hand side. Replaced that with a drivers information panel menu button, and a rotating scroll button, where the cruise control set switch was, is now the reset button. Also has that oil reset thing.

Suppose to have turn by turn navigation with a minor monthly fee, couldn't find that, but was warned both by my wife and the salesman to watch where I was going while test driving it. More toys to play with. Did see that tire monitor thingy, that was cute.

kev2

wrench
Got it.......I have RESET oil life and recorded milage will check to see how soon it reapears.

thanks