Other techs borrowing tools

museboy07

Hey guys first post here..looks like a great site. Im 20 yrs old and I work at a small independent shop. My tool collection is quite large and almost never need to borrow anything. My concern is this..one of the other techs at my place ALWAYS is asking to borrow tools. Even when I say no he still goes and opens up my box and takes what he needs. This guy is a friend to me and I always end up letting him so we can get the cars out the door but I still think its B.S. Only because I am the one who is spending thousands on the tools for my career and he goes out and spends his money on quads and other toys like that. Im sorry to rant but does anyone else see this situation the way i do? What should I do?

jasonn20

When I first started I borrowed tools but I kept making the investment to get the tools that I used the most so I would not have to. I do not have a problem with someone borrowing as long as there making some effort to get there own. I like my tools to be in my box and when I need to use them it can get frustrating going to look for them. I used to put the tools back that I borrowed when i started and even cleaned the hands prints off the box at the end of the day. I think your friend should as least buy one tool per week that he uses the most from you. If not, then tell him no and inforce it.

museboy07

That's what makes me mad..he doesn't make an effort at all to buy tools. Even the basics like sockets and wrenches he borrows cause he's lazy and never puts them back and loses them. He'll never bring back my tools i always have to go over to his box and grab them off the top cause that's where he throws everything. And him cleaning off my tools when hes done? haha ya right. There was a time when he went to harbor freight and bought a whole bunch of china shit but then shit started breaking and back to using my mac and snap-on tools he went. It just irritates me when the guy has borrowed my expensive tools like cam kits and balljoint press at least 15 times and not once has asked the tool dealers for anything. If I say no to him he just gets pissed off and I hate that shit at work so i always just let him..idk maybe i'll start saying no and meaning it.

jasonn20

Well.. part of being a auto tech is having tools and if he does not even have the basics then I am not sure why he has a job. If he would go to sears and buy the 265 craftsman toolset, a plier set, screw driver set, and a few hammers he would have a basic set for $300. If he is serious about being an auto tech then he has to get his own tools.

museboy07

He usually says, "ya i left mine at home",haha BS! oh and he'll sometimes use the "i had that but lost it" BS again..im gonna tell him im gonna stop letting him borrow if he doesnt even try to make an effort to buy any..whats worse is he older then me and has been a mechanic longer then me! wtf

greasemonkey

I let other tech borrow tools. But if they borrow the same tool more than three times I tell them its time to buy one of your own and will not let them have it any more. There is a lock on my box and I would use it if someone goes into it to borrow my tools with out me knowing. If they are borrowing basic hand tools than its time to put and end to it. If its a tool the shop should have talk to the manager to see why they don't have it. I payed for all the tools I own Not anyone else. If the mechanic doesnot have the tools to do his job send him home or give the job to me that's why I bought the tool I would need to do the job. Explain the new rules to them if they don't like the new rules than stop lending tools out!!! HTH Greasemonkey

al daniels

wrench
ah yes the three time rule.i remember when i was an apprentice if i had to borrow the same tool more than three times i bought one.i really hate someone going into my box.even more so i hate when they try to put it back,invariably in the wrong place and diry.

museboy07

Honestly, my shop doesnt have some of the bigger tools as they should..such as...we dont have a tpms activation kit (which is mandatory nowadays), we have no labscope, we dont even have the European adapters for our solus pro scanner..we have to send alot work away that requires things we dont have..but my boss owns 2 shops so he is making profit from each so i think he feels no reason to purchase the "really expensive" items if he absolutely doesnt need to..but oh well. He cant get mad if i cant fix it if he doesn't have the right equipment! ;D

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The biggest problem with this type of person, since they DON'T buy any tools, they don't appreciate the investment AND they don't care if they lose your tools. "SAY NO TO DRUGS & BORROWING YOUR TOOLS". These are an investment into your future and should be treated as such. I worked (for a week) in a shop like this and had to lock my toolbox after I got the tools out that I needed for the job I was working on. You will find a place that appreciates your commitment to your future and you will be happier to go to work. What state are you in? Transman