overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
When I first joined here I bought was BACK then a high end PC. But after 11yrs, it got old, games and apps not running at optimal settings etc.

SO since all and any warranty on parts was almost a decade old, I decided to go through with my ultimate test. Invest in a new high end pc build or overclock the shyte out of it.

I opted for the second option since I had the $$ saved away for the new build. What did I have to loose?

For 200$ I bought a new 50$ coolermaster up stage air cooler and a evga gtx 960 surper clockable GPU off of Kijjiji.

Result, I was on a buddies gaming pc and looked at his performance compared to mine after oveclocking with decade old stuff.

My pc actually boots up faster, handles heavy gaming better at higher frames rates and can handle 8 stimulation core hyper threading like a champ with cpu getting no hotter than 69c. Gpu stable 49c. Both under heavy benchmarking software has done with it.

Here is my build in stock stats. Screenshot (5).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@ 92% GPU load getting 45c temp. Not bad.

Cpu is same.

So my question is, is it safe to do it? I say yes, cus my case temps and gpu core and cpu core temps actually went down as soon as I applied the setting in a simple on line guide I found on overclocking. It is the most straightforward process I found and It literally blew my mind when I first fired it up. I was so impressed, I went over to my gf house, did the same to her i3 sandy bridge 1150.

But I can't overclock hers like mine cuz she doesn\t has high end ram. But if all come together to day, she will have crucial veangence ram in ther. Just like my old I7 core in a x58 extreme mobo Screenshot (7).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This also should suffice for ram in an I3 cpu 1150 socket. Screenshot (8).png

My old cpu is a I7 1366 ivy (I think) 900 series. 950, to be precis and not supposed to be overclock-able like the x version that was going 1grand a pop at that time. Now those are/where even more expensive and just not worth it any more. So I finally decided I will try to max it till it just burn out. But seeing my temps, it won. WOW is all I have to say.

All this time, companies have been doing this to save face. All this time heeding useless warning not to overclock cuz you risk system failure.

Look at this bench mark. CPU close to 75% on a heavy intel overclocking software. Never went over 65 or so Celsius. So If I get it to 3.6ghrtz, it should run fine @ 80 or so Celsius. Screenshot (12).png Screenshot (12).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sorry for double pic post guys. But really if your looking to give a thump to your old stuff and you don't give a flying f about it, well worth the afternoon it takes to stabilize a system.

I was looking at a 1700$ investment, but ended up paying about 300$ in appropriate hardware and I am thingking I am getting better throttle response than even some of those new coffee lakes. The new I9 that goes for close to 2grand in my region states it will do 5Ghz. If I can get mine to 4, I will be the most happy camper cuz I hate spending money on useless stuff.

If any of you want to try this, I will be more than happy to provide link and softaware to do this. It is blazing fast. Just need to take the time to do and you will ask yourself, IS THIS really MY PC?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also hyped up the gpu, it is loving it. I decided to let it at pretty much stock settings with the cpu OC'ed to 3.2ghz. But when I decided to go all in and try to get the highest clock possible on the cpu at a stable long term bench/stress test, it did not go high in temps like the cpu did.

I found it takes time and effort to enjoy the subtle differences certain voltages applied may cause. I went through alot of system stability issues at first because I was following a x version guide of my stock I7 chip. The X950 has real 8 core capabity when mine only simulates 8 cores on hyper thread.

So I know I can't wish to gain the same from a 1000$ chip when I paid 390$ for my I7950 bloom a decade or so ago.

But still, the pc is working fine, temps not bothering me to much as above normal pc use @ 3.5 or so ghz is around 60-65c.

Anyway, it was fun to try. I posted this here only for some of those who may have old hardware but were scared to push it. I decided to be a guinea pig for you and all is fine.

I know some car guy's are a bit like me and like tweeking anything that is tweekable. But if I want to go to 4.4ghz on this chip, I will fry it fast if I don't put a truck radiator on it with some ac delco antifreeze. :eek:

Looking at this at the moment, it is part of my plan for my up grade in the next yr or so. The water cool kit will be bought and paid for and if I need to swap to a different socket, (which is highly likely) I only have to change the base adapter for the cpu bracket mounts.

https://www.amazon.ca/Alphacool-Eis...R8ER6N92G6T&psc=1&refRID=6YMG3F9RVR8ER6N92G6T

Last edited:

abrad

Dude, everything you said here is a completely foreign language to me!

I've a few friends who can and do speak that language, so I just tell them to fix it so it works. Fairly decent arrangements - I fix their cars, they fix my computer! One guy even gets me upgraded computers and software they his business!!!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well here is an update. Stable @ 4.2ghz. Here is proof. Benched it and still ok. Ran it @ 4.47ghz. System crash repeadtadly, so I think I found the sweet spot in the overclock world. Screenshot (17).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Again, the only reason I am posting this here is just to show you guys it is doable.

Abrad said it was Chinese or sorcery. Actually, it is not. Just take the time to understand what a core multiplier is and go from there. :eek:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW guys, I will keep updating this thread to the point I cook it. It is in my nature. Just make sure you back up your shyte. Cuz at 4.47ghz, the bios shouted it could not take the OC. Since this is a test, why would I care. It is a system I am willing to sacrifice in lieu of learning.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Others may say I burning money. Yes I am. But again, it is for learning purposes.

My first love will always be cars. But there is easy money in building and repairing pc's and laptops. So a good thing to learn the basics and push it. You get a better clientèle.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi to all, and those probably not following this thread as you are car nuts, which is my basic love also, I must deliver on my own promise of updating this thread.

Overclocking is not as easy as it looks.

As I started this overclocking, I did not realize the architecture of all this.

End of the conclusion is , if you don't have the proper hardware, no matter of overclocking will run a heavy load software if it is not meant to run on older market chips(cpu). Mine is more than a decade old and it is time to say bye bye.

Conclusion. I am currently investing in proper hardware. Bought a new case, not much to sing home about, but it has a nice 4mm thick tempered glass side which is visually nice, but I most like the two magnetic filters. One on top, one in the front. The PSU filter is not so user friendly, it is a tab type filter and will probably break in three or four cleanings with my big fat grease monkey hands.

But for the price, it will fit what I need for power hungry resource software such as photo/video rendering and gaming.