overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Continuing this thread in a positive note, sister did come out of coma, went through ruff patch, nows she back to work on a need to know basis, but back to work.

So over clocking.

Well, now that I knew I would max out this old platform. The socket 1366. I am more confused than before on which platform to buy.

But research is long but USUALLY wallet worthy in the long run.

My build seems to go as such in my head. I already bought the 4mm thick tempered glass box it will go all in.

One thing I can't wait for is the M2 ssd and the DDR4 RAM to get here, and I got that OC also. This is going to be a water cooled thing by end of year. I do have to respect budget as this build will go over what I am used to shelling out on a monthly basis. I have a son to pay for and have no intentions of splitting THAT bill for computer parts I can wait for.

That being said. The problem I am having is on design , not functionality.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So on design, I can go forward and have all summer spare time to fuss with a dremel or grinder and some paint stuff. Such as air brush, but I don't think I am here yet. But I will need to paint the power supply cache box the same color as some other components as this case is very see through and needs to blend in with the home theater decor.

Once I am set on which MB I need, I can color scheme. I am going for a bolt and nut look on the MB, such as this, but undecided if I want the wifi option or not as it changes a few dimensions for the dual GPU's.

Here is the main one I am looking at right now. The MSI Tomahawk. tomohawk.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But I am most partial to this nut and bolt look, and if here some may take the time to read, feed back on look for a car guy would be nice. Again, I am very partial to this one, but not sold yet, there are even three others I am looking at. But I much respect the ASUS quality. For some reason, they have been a great brand for me in the PC/laptop world.

I like this board as I will be putting two heavy GPU's and this one is reinforced on both PCI-e 16 slots. While the other is not. For me, that is worth consider, but the look of the other one above for me is way better. Maybe I could do a bracket to reinforce, but will suffer in look again. prime reinforced.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is the box/case it will all go into, Antec cheap case P8. Looks great, and sturdy as heck for a bone/100$. I haven't even opened the box yet. I am keeping that for build day next yrs. I am just throwing newegg and amazon boxes in my gone away place until the last part come in. But in the mean time, not afraid to open the case box to measure and paint once MB color scheme defined.

As for hardware. I am all set. I am going to put in a I7 9700k 8core 16 thread this time. My last I7 was a 4 core 8 thread. ANd old as heck.

My PS is a very good to do thermaltake 650watt modular, so that is not a prob. Every thing else has to go. The tall push pull air cooler will stay for a while cuz it won't be water cooled until December.

New years is when he gets kudo points for helping me out with the end of pc build/end yr project and son knows how to place money aside for a good reason. Like buying your first car or motorbike. He will be sixteen this fall. So as a dad, I have to think that!! Way!!. antec glass case.jpg

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Shyte, just re read thread and found I am repeating myelf, anywho, still upgrading, and sorry for gobblygook songs. To much beer and sunday night tokes at the SH karting.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I kind of find the open discussion part of this site diversifies, but nobody ever really uses it. So I try, mostly without success, but hey, I don't mind, it is my sort of diary of sorts.

I am not a girly type to write down my personal shyte and then just lock it away. No, we need to good all out or nothing. Testosterone or something like that.

My vision is to put 4 rubber tires in lieu of the bottom feet that hold the pc up.

But I think that would be over kill. I don't know. Sometimes, I wish I was back in my 1979 ford ltd with a 351 4bbl.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The case is decided, and I am wanting to take away with part of it for water cooling. I choose the mid tower because some chick told me it had to go there. And I told her to f off, and then, now I am stuck

I want to stick the rad in the front panel and run the whole thing off of M2 ssd pci, and that will give me lots of room to move for dual GPU's. If I go how my GF likes my old setup, I have a full tower right now with a full atx, no room with old hardware such as HDD's and DVD reapers.

The radiator alone is three medium pc fans long.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E1683535...MI-rfogvf24gIVO__jBx3fywazEAQYDiABEgIiLfD_BwE

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, jumped the gun, ordered a M2 3500read and 3000Mbs write ssd. I just linked back to it, I think I bought the last one. Out of stock. These things are the shyte.

MB surface mounted and can be cooled, more than 5 times faster than a sata ssd.

Oh, and looked and looked, still save a bone/100$ doing research.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/0D9-00DF-00010

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Still tending on the msi tomahawk, just cuz of look. It has less options I want, but I can hook those up via pci-e small slots. Wifi, will be done via a discreet card intel.

If I win lotto, watch this video.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E1681314...B2kNXQ2zI3jB7GPRrRLQ_X5Ej0VG9sTj0zWf6TxHRNWLw

This one is boss, but rainbow, but I guess there is an off switch for that. This one has extra goodies like wifi integrated and sound optical etc. Maybe I should just stop focusing on functionality and go with gut and art.

Anyway, I will keep this useless thread on par as I buy useless stuff to get it to water cool and overclock. :cool: