overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@ nickD. I am going to buy a new water cooler, used, from a guy in montreal this weekend. It is not for my new build, just for testing on my current one.

The vram on my current MB is way old, but had the best heat dissipation factor of its time back then. I am going to water cool those also on my old rig, just for laughs. I should be able to hit 5ghz easy with that on this old chip.

Anyway, I said the new rig would be done before christmas, sadly, it probably wont be, family comes first before my hobbies. Even though I wish it would be otherwise.

But a dizzy mustang is always fun. I should know, posted a few pics of my old 84 gt contraption here. :cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So testing on old rig should see some differences on just how far I can push the new rig. I wanted to go the thermo "pelletier" route, but just seeing fuzzy reviews, not much OC data yet on that. So the new "used" one for the old i7 1366 socket will be a cooler meant for a lga socket 2011v3.

This article inspired me to go that route to actually see what ppl mean by the silicon lottery. I guess I am currently finding this one out. I have cooked it multiple times, trying multipliers galore and ram settings that should not even permit and clocking the vram has proven to be the most disaster ridden path, but at this point, its all about learning, not $$$, Just f ing around with settings that are way out of bounds.

I am still typing on it as we speak, so to speak.

Here is a link to that water cooler, it is NOT a custom loop like I am making for the new one, just a regular AIO. But with full copper vs aluminum which is going in my new build.

Here is the link to what inspires me, (not much inspires me unless it is unusual)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1227-page2.html

Here is a link to that cheap old cooler I can probably rig with some 4mm hardware.

http://www.deepcool.com/download/E-Catalog/2016_Product_Catalogue.pdf

Some say you cant reverse the sockets, well, we will see about that.

The cooler is a full copper system, three fan rad, so need big case, which I always use for expansion. As wrote in other posts, it a sort of art form when modding such stuff. The rest is just paint and a few artful indentations here and there.

The real art, is seemingly getting functionality out of anything on hand once you actually get airflow etc. I find keeping notes of certain settings help.

I also like that the kit on kijjiji is red and black, and only 75$ cnd. Should be fine with the look I am going for, may even out shine the 300$ something slovenia kit I got fed expressed f ed over on international shipping. :eek:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
A buddy of mine the other day asked me why don't I just buy the highest end pc out there and be done with it.? I asked him, where is the fun in that?

Remember, this is a hobby, not my day job. A hobby is for learning, not flaunting around. If I wanted a fast car without the bloody knuckles, I would have gone straight to wallstreet, then trump the whole of USA. :D:fixed:

I don't want a ready made speedster car, I want to build and modify it it on my own time, not someone else's dime. That is for losers who never knew what working and learning is really about. You and I, can spend others ppl money and look good. That is what/why we have ppl like Paris Hilton for and other such phenomenons of this species for.

I love the fact my current car only cost me 200$ at time of transfer. I have put easy 50 k km's on it. Hows that for a bargain? Do I look good? Heck no. Does it work? Heck yeah. Is my credit bad, nope. Does my son get to see how all this is done? Heck no. That is why I am no longer willing to pay my ex for her new VW. o_O Oh, and the fact he will soon be 18. ;)

If I learned math right, that is 0.004cents a kilometer. :eek:

Last edited: