overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@ nickD. I am going to buy a new water cooler, used, from a guy in montreal this weekend. It is not for my new build, just for testing on my current one.

The vram on my current MB is way old, but had the best heat dissipation factor of its time back then. I am going to water cool those also on my old rig, just for laughs. I should be able to hit 5ghz easy with that on this old chip.

Anyway, I said the new rig would be done before christmas, sadly, it probably wont be, family comes first before my hobbies. Even though I wish it would be otherwise.

But a dizzy mustang is always fun. I should know, posted a few pics of my old 84 gt contraption here. :cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So testing on old rig should see some differences on just how far I can push the new rig. I wanted to go the thermo "pelletier" route, but just seeing fuzzy reviews, not much OC data yet on that. So the new "used" one for the old i7 1366 socket will be a cooler meant for a lga socket 2011v3.

This article inspired me to go that route to actually see what ppl mean by the silicon lottery. I guess I am currently finding this one out. I have cooked it multiple times, trying multipliers galore and ram settings that should not even permit and clocking the vram has proven to be the most disaster ridden path, but at this point, its all about learning, not $$$, Just f ing around with settings that are way out of bounds.

I am still typing on it as we speak, so to speak.

Here is a link to that water cooler, it is NOT a custom loop like I am making for the new one, just a regular AIO. But with full copper vs aluminum which is going in my new build.

Here is the link to what inspires me, (not much inspires me unless it is unusual)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1227-page2.html

Here is a link to that cheap old cooler I can probably rig with some 4mm hardware.

http://www.deepcool.com/download/E-Catalog/2016_Product_Catalogue.pdf

Some say you cant reverse the sockets, well, we will see about that.

The cooler is a full copper system, three fan rad, so need big case, which I always use for expansion. As wrote in other posts, it a sort of art form when modding such stuff. The rest is just paint and a few artful indentations here and there.

The real art, is seemingly getting functionality out of anything on hand once you actually get airflow etc. I find keeping notes of certain settings help.

I also like that the kit on kijjiji is red and black, and only 75$ cnd. Should be fine with the look I am going for, may even out shine the 300$ something slovenia kit I got fed expressed f ed over on international shipping. :eek:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
A buddy of mine the other day asked me why don't I just buy the highest end pc out there and be done with it.? I asked him, where is the fun in that?

Remember, this is a hobby, not my day job. A hobby is for learning, not flaunting around. If I wanted a fast car without the bloody knuckles, I would have gone straight to wallstreet, then trump the whole of USA. :D:fixed:

I don't want a ready made speedster car, I want to build and modify it it on my own time, not someone else's dime. That is for losers who never knew what working and learning is really about. You and I, can spend others ppl money and look good. That is what/why we have ppl like Paris Hilton for and other such phenomenons of this species for.

I love the fact my current car only cost me 200$ at time of transfer. I have put easy 50 k km's on it. Hows that for a bargain? Do I look good? Heck no. Does it work? Heck yeah. Is my credit bad, nope. Does my son get to see how all this is done? Heck no. That is why I am no longer willing to pay my ex for her new VW. o_O Oh, and the fact he will soon be 18. ;)

If I learned math right, that is 0.004cents a kilometer. :eek:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
That last post 1 and 2 of mine made me laugh. Sometimes I read myself, and remember what mood I was in. Those two last ones were not a good night. :beer:

Well, made headway in what is now a race to build two pc's of different eras and manufacturers.

I gave myself some leeway on time line as now, my head is doing both platforms and way different structures.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So the AIO cooler got picked up and done. Measured and found right brackets. They were just in the wrong bag. Used unit. The fun in this is I want to measure really which one is more efficient. AIO or custom cooling loops because with an AIO, you can't really change design as it is sealed and "if you may" designed to not be opened and will void any warranty. This however is not my concern, and if any on this unit fails, back up pumps and hoses and fittings are every where on internet.

I just got back from ADAS training down near montreal (hate montreal byw. Grrrrrr!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:giveup::giveup::giveup:)

And the similarities in this trade and that of algorithms and modules, and scanners, and different OS's and different nodes, languages between them etc is astounding.

So this is what got me interested in modding PC's. My career was bringing me to this realization whether I wanted it or not. So, as a hobby, I took to it. It help me, as with this site to go from homeless to working up north to getting stable job and income. This is why I use this site so frequently, it is so well catered to north american guy's and gal's for info, questions, and idiots like me who post all kind of junk!

I got my first computer here in quebec just to come here (BAT auto) in 2008. I had been homeless for 4 yrs + and had nothing to my name, let alone how to start building a life. So I had bought a used p4 lga 700 something socket with scrap money. It was unbearably slow compared to the new (back then ivy bridge series) I tried some of those in a pc shop, at the same time, I bought an old beat up bmw for cheap. 1k$. Took 4bones off that when I saw the car, right front door was caved in pretty good so you could see the print of the side lateral safety bar imprinted in the sheet.

I then got interested in just fixing them and giving them back to others like me who hit hard times. Give them a tool to market themselves, they may find a job and come back to life through the form of friendly nice non aggression forums such as this. And it had moderators all along, so it felt like a safe place for me.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So when I was in a transistion house up here, I had an idea as wrote above, and was nicely received. I was givien many outdated oc's, which I took apart, cleaned and learned which stuff went with what.

I made 4 e pcs out of 12-15 pcs in a junk pile, made a sound proof room for each user to feel safe in his or her searches, showed them how to make an e mail account to better go into the work force, even helped them set up bank accounts. Then that went on to how to get income taxes done, the pc's were handling well the system, folks were there to help. My initiative and moral grew. Then I huffed and puffed and decided to do the north.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Then cell phones literally turned that around, I was faced with dealing with economics and hardware. A very astute member here, if I remember correctly, Mobile Dan" ;) put me to account and answered my questions, along with other good ppl here, and made me see that this forum of help was outdated. And, even though I tried, they were right. The project fell through, lost funding, not up to date.

Btw, lost interest in pelletier thermal cooling, this is why.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
OK, took me awhile, but setup is almost complete. I haven't un boxed anything or tested anything except the gpu, I bought that one used, so I stressed tested it in my current "rig" as other ppl call these things. I just call them fun. I really just like fussing with stuff, and this hobby seems to have stricken. o_O

Final parts come in monday, but I am inpatient, have already setup. O will do that on my new project which I call 20$$?? dishwasher. 20200229_151101[1].jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now I know nobody really reads this thread, it a brain fart of mine.

But today, I saw someone have a brain fart and said, ok, I will cut that one myself.

Off topic, why do I have a 20$ dishwasher project in mind. Well, this is how OCD I can get.

Bought a dishwasher for 20$ off of kijjiji three weeks or so ago, washes fine, leaked at first, but a seal and lock job carburetor type deal sealed it, but I just couldn't get over the tire imprint on the pseudo wood.

I think it is a winter tire, in fact, I know, I took a picture, if it has a snow flake, it is a winter. Is it a bf , maybe. The shot cant see that very well. Anyway, today I decide I am done seeing that ugly stain, I went and bought some maple board and asked to cut to size. Some how, the guy cut the front fascia to long, Head slap myself, say to myself, it is only 2$ per cut, this one is on me. Shut up and tip the guy.

Cuz, I did write down the measurements on a parking ticket I have to pay, figured two birds with a stone. 20200229_140646[1].jpg20200229_143723[1].jpg20200229_140621[1].jpg20200229_140945[1].jpg

billr

wrench
Staff member
Oh, I read all of your posts, but don't know quite how to respond to many. I admit, I don't look at most of your videos; just ignore them.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I admit, I don't look at most of your videos; just ignore them.
That is good, It is just part of my mind thinking process. I associate diffrently than most, I need constant noise in my head. A doctor wanted to medicate me, but didn't like the feeling of the meds, they make me feel worse and honestly, just don't need them.

Worst stuff I ever was prescribed in my life. Never, ever want that high again. It just sucks. No energy, no oomff, and to boot, the kicker also, need a blue pill to counter measure that SIDE effect!!:eek:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Went back to see doc, threw meds on his desk, he said you can't just withdraw from meds like that, we need to wean you down. I said, just watch me, I turned around so fast, walked out of his office and didn't say a f ing word to anyone for three days. After that, I am still who I am, just better, cuz I said no. I know who and what I am, and this is NOT a depression, I don't need to be treated for depression and I will just find ways to involve myself on other positive ways.

That was in 2008, when I joined here/ :cool: