Make
Chevrolet
Model
Equinox
Year
Miles
Engine
2.4 l
Got a "check engine" light on way home, still 300 miles away. Car ran fine, 75 mph and climbed the Grapevine grade without any issues. After getting home, the next day, the light went off, but then went back on. Did it again a day later. I went to Autozone and had the code pulled. It was P0013, Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit/Open(Bank)1. There were some good u-tube videos on this. It seems to be a fairly common problem with the Equinoxes. It was pretty easy to pull the Solenoid Actuator (except for pulling the connector off). There was a small tab to be depressed and then removed before I could depress the main one to pull the connector off. And of course, the tab was facing away from me. I used the intake connector as a guide.

The solenoid resistance was around a 100 ohms. It should be around 12. So I replaced the solenoid actuator. The old one looked pretty clean. The CEL went off after a few engine starts.Questions:

1.How does a sealed solenoid fail. How does resistance change.? Does a connection internally go bad or intermittent? Soldering, crimping issues?

2. Do I have to clear the P0013 from the memory? Are there two types of memory? One for basically the history of the vehicle, and another for the immediate fault that was taken care of?

3 Some of the u-tube and other forums talked about oil changes. Some said forget the engine oil life indicator, which in my case runs about 10K miles. They said do it about 5K. If the solenoid problems are electric, how does the oil change issue enter in to it?

Mobile Dan

wrench
Oil changes matter because oil runs through the "oily end".

1617160449557.png

paulo57509

Got a "check engine" light on way home, still 300 miles away. Car ran fine, 75 mph and climbed the Grapevine grade without any issues. After getting home, the next day, the light went off, but then went back on. Did it again a day later. I went to Autozone and had the code pulled. It was P0013, Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit/Open(Bank)1. There were some good u-tube videos on this. It seems to be a fairly common problem with the Equinoxes. It was pretty easy to pull the Solenoid Actuator (except for pulling the connector off). There was a small tab to be depressed and then removed before I could depress the main one to pull the connector off. And of course, the tab was facing away from me. I used the intake connector as a guide.

The solenoid resistance was around a 100 ohms. It should be around 12. So I replaced the solenoid actuator. The old one looked pretty clean. The CEL went off after a few engine starts.Questions:

1.How does a sealed solenoid fail. How does resistance change.? Does a connection internally go bad or intermittent? Soldering, crimping issues?

2. Do I have to clear the P0013 from the memory? Are there two types of memory? One for basically the history of the vehicle, and another for the immediate fault that was taken care of?

3 Some of the u-tube and other forums talked about oil changes. Some said forget the engine oil life indicator, which in my case runs about 10K miles. They said do it about 5K. If the solenoid problems are electric, how does the oil change issue enter in to it?
IMO solenoid failure occurs from one or all the above including heat and mechanical failure. Usually, one happens and the rest soon follow. Most of the GM electrical issues I've come across on my own vehicles is soldering issues at the board level.

You shouldn't have to clear the DTC from memory. After x-amount of start/run/shut down cycles it will clear on it's own.

The reason for the frequent oil changes and solenoids is to prevent varnish and other by-products of combustion from hindering solenoid operation. A lot of variables come into play here; short trips, ignoring routine maintenance, etc.

If you really want to determine your oil change interval, have your drain sampled by a lab like Blackstone.

grcauto

The solenoid resistance was around a 100 ohms.
What did the new one read?

As for failure. Why does a sealed coil fail? Many reasons why but that code is more likely to be set by wiring issues of one sort or another.

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
What did the new one read?

As for failure. Why does a sealed coil fail? Many reasons why but that code is more likely to be set by wiring issues of one sort or another.
CHEAP CHINESE CRAP!!! Everything is outsourced, manufactured, contracted to the cheapest bidder, nothing to do with quality anymore sadly

twicelow

Hey guys,
Mobile Dan--I suppose the "shaft" seal (probably an O-ring) on the "plunger" of the oil flow control valve could wear out and allow oil to get into the electrical windings area and cause problems.

grcauto- the reading on the new one was 9.8 ohms. It kind of jumped around 10, depending how firmly I held the probes.

I've been changing oil about every 5K miles around the 50%. So far my oil consumption is OK. Haven't had to add any in that interval.

In Dec 2015, the intake camshaft solenoid was replaced by the dealer under warranty. For more details see my post of Dec 2015. ("rough idle and stalling"). But no ECL ever came on. Also in Sep 2011 both solenoids were replaced by the dealer under a recall, although there were no problems at the time. So the upshot is, that I have an intake solenoid that was replaced at 25K miles in Dec 2015 and now a new exhaust solenoid at 54K miles. Wonder when the other shoe(intake solenoid) will drop?

Wonder if the benefit of the VVT is outweighed by the "panic"(pucker factor) when the ECL goes on. I drove 300 miles with no problems. The ECL has to be cleared to pass smog. Drivability doesn't appear to be affected.