P0132, P0138, P0888 + etc 1999 Jeep GC Limited

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
V8 - 4. 7L - 4WD - automatic transmission
non-California vehicle
over 98,000 miles
has alarm system that uses horn and lights
purchased this vehicle used about 2 years

I recently changed both speed sensors & my Jeep's transmission filters [added correct mopar ATF & when transmission pan was dropped the magnet looked very clean & there were no metal shavings nor any debris found in the pan. ] My vehicle was working fine for about one month. Then I had trouble codes related to the oxygen sensors. I recently changed those out for new OEM ones [since they looked really old], but still have the O2 sensor codes.

Prior to changing the speed sensors I noticed that my Jeep would sort of bump into gear when I shifted from Park to Reverse and would also bump into gear when I shifted from Reverse into Drive. The speed sensors seemed to have solved the "bump" shift for awhile, but had come back after approximately one month. At which point and time I was having the Oxygen Sensor DTC's & as mentioned above I changed those out for new OEM O2's.

I currently have the following Trouble Codes:

P0888 TCM power Relay Sense Circuit
P0132 O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0138 O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

My OBD2 code reader shows this freeze frame data:
the numbers after the "///" indicates a changed result after a second reading approximately 5 minutes later.

Fuel Sys 1: 0L
Fuel Sys 2: CL-Fault
Calc Load (%): 10. 59 ///3. 14
Ect (F): 188 /// 199
STFT B1(%): 0. 00
LTFT B1(%): 0. 00
MAP (inHg): 23. 33 /// 9. 45
Eng RPM: 768 /// 640
Veh Speed (mph): 0

My Jeep has also just started to have what I can only describe as a loss of power. While testing my vehicle I came to a stop sign at the bottom of a hill and it felt like it was almost about to die and then it revved up on it's own and didn't die. When I press the gas pedal it seems to not have as much get up and go as it used to it seems sort of sluggish and slow.

Other things I have noticed about my Jeep since having bought it used a couple of years ago. Batteries have only lasted for 1 year and then after it dies the battery will not charge. Every once and awhile my jeep when parked & the alarm is set and after sitting for a long while will flash it's lights on and off all by it's self. The type of alarm I have when it is set off it is supposed to sound the horn and flash the front and back lights.

Any thoughts on the specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes? Does the TCM have to be replaced? If so is it typically expensive to do so?
It seems to me that perhaps I've had some sort of electrical problem from the beginning, could it be caused from the TCM?

I would prefer to try to troubleshoot and fix the problems on my own. I am saving a trip to the Jeep Dealership as an absolutely last resort.
My apologies for the length of this post I'm just trying to be as helpful with my description as possible. :-[

Thanks Much for your help I really appreciate it,
JeepWJLimited

kev2

wrench
welcome I hope we can get you fixed up..

lets deal with the codes first....

First never ASSUME that a diagnostic code indicates a part needs changing.

your two codes p0132 and p0138 bothe are overvoltage on the smae bank. inspect the connector and harness for - open, shotrted, pinched, cororrided wiring. A heated 02 sensor circuit shorted to 02 sensor side will set this code...
Can you read the bank 1 o2 sensor voltage with yur scannner?

p0888 is not so common...first thoughts:
is there a remote starter?
the alarm is it STOCK or aftermarket? If aftertmarket what became of SKIM sys?
I believe that will be the area to check...

PS> let us know modifications, add ons, or AFTERMARKET parts...

Update:

P0132 & P0138 DTC's Appear to be Gone.
Rechecked the #16 [10A] O2 Sensor fuse and it was not blown and appeared to be in a good condition. I did notice a thin layer of white corrosion. So I cleaned the metal contacts on the fuse with electrical cleaner and let it dry. Replaced back into slot and now it would appear that the Oxygen Sensor codes are gone.

Cleared the CEL ran my OBD2 code reader again and now I have the following codes:

P0613 TCM Processor
P0888 TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit

Tried to clean the TCM [30A] fuse & slot as best as I could. Also cleaned the TCM Relay contacts, but this appeared to have done nothing.

Since the ASD & TCM fuses are the same [30A] I switched them out and there was no change.
Since the ASD & TCM relays are the same I switched those as well and there was a change!!!

I now have one DTC:
P0613 TCM Processor

-----
I'm thinking about replacing the TCM and ordering a new TCM relay.

Any clues, thoughts, suggestions?
I'd appreciate the help from anyone - thanks.

JeepWJLimited

Nice a post while I was getting ready to edit my previous post. Thanks
I started to do an update and I got called away on business, therefore, I didn't see your reply before I sent the previous update.

I guess I didn't assume that the DTC was a part needing to be replaced I just figured that since the O2's looked original to the vehicle and since the front O2 had a DTC it would be a good idea to replace them out anyhow. I also read somewhere about the symptoms I was having and they recommended changing to new O2's. I guess I just figured if it would resolve the issue great, if not, oh well it needed it anyhow. :)
But you do have a valid point. DTC's do not necessarily mean you need a new part.

As I mentioned in the update I seemed to have resolved the Oxygen Sensor issue by cleaning the O2 fuse contacts. Hopefully this is a long term fix.

P0888
No there is not a remote starter.
I believe the alarm to be stock; however, I never really did look at the alarm, but the remote is Jeep Stock. Unfortunately I have no clue what SKIM sys would be.

This Jeep does not have any modifications that I know of. I do not race/go 4x4'ing anywhere. I myself use OEM Mopar parts. All parts from what I have seen are original OEM parts. Nothing seems to deviate from a stocked '99.

kev2 said:
welcome I hope we can get you fixed up. .

lets deal with the codes first. . . .

First never ASSUME that a diagnostic code indicates a part needs changing.

your two codes p0132 and p0138 bothe are overvoltage on the smae bank. inspect the connector and harness for - open, shotrted, pinched, cororrided wiring. A heated 02 sensor circuit shorted to 02 sensor side will set this code. . .
Can you read the bank 1 o2 sensor voltage with yur scannner?

p0888 is not so common. . . first thoughts:
I believe that will be the area to check. . .

PS> let us know modifications, add ons, or AFTERMARKET parts. . .

kev2

wrench
swapping the relay should do....
TCM are not simple bolt in....

clear the codes, remove the TCM P0613. operate and advise.... removing relay and fuse may have set as this is a PCM sense circuit...

AGAIN???
Is the security light on?

PS> let us know modifications, add ons, or AFTERMARKET parts...

kev2 said:
If aftertmarket what became of SKIM sys?
Ok so the SKIM is the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module. and based upon the description of the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module if the SKIM ties in with the alarm/key remote than I would assume that it is original OEM. But like I said earlier I have not looked at this part of the vehicle.

Thanks for all of your help once again.
And I didn't intentionally ignore your questions. As I mentioned above I was writing a reply before your response was received by me. My apologies for the confusion. :)

kev2 said:
swapping the relay should do. . . .
TCM are not simple bolt in. . . .

clear the codes, remove the TCM P0613. operate and advise. . . . removing relay and fuse may have set as this is a PCM sense circuit. . .
I will order and swap out the TCM Relay with a new one.
I cleared out all of the codes, ran the Jeep in my garage for awhile and now have ended up with 5 DTC's but there is no Check Engine Light on.

P0846 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit B Range/Performance
P0871 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit C Range/Performance
P0988 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit E Range/Performance
P0876 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit D Range/Performance
P0888 TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit

Oh boy. ;)
Once again I do appreciate all of the help/guidance you have supplied.

kev2

wrench
you are gettng alot of codes with each scan.

The starting point will be the p0888 -relay and sense circuit... If you have a power problem to TCM the codes other trans codes are suspect..

Problems with modules NOT communicaton or powering up is often a sympton of REMOTE starters .....

Sorry but computer problems (again) prevent me from posting wiring diagrams ..
thing s I would check - definately fuses - wiring connector at transmission, and ignition switch. TCM connector.

PS what scanner are you using...I would expect to see a p0700 code with several Trans solenoidd codes..

kev2 said:
you are gettng alot of codes with each scan.

The starting point will be the p0888 -relay and sense circuit. . . If you have a power problem to TCM the codes other trans codes are suspect. .

Problems with modules NOT communicaton or powering up is often a sympton of REMOTE starters . . . . .

Sorry but computer problems (again) prevent me from posting wiring diagrams . .
thing s I would check - definately fuses - wiring connector at transmission, and ignition switch. TCM connector.

PS what scanner are you using. . . I would expect to see a p0700 code with several Trans solenoidd codes. .
Thats ok about the wiring diagrams - I'll do some research and see what I can find to help me out.
I will also try to address fuses, wiring connector at transmission, and ignition switch. And the TCM connector. I'm pretty new to tackling issues on my own, but I will do what I can and if I feel lost I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and take her in.

The scanner I am using is:
Innova - 3100
CanOBD2 Code Reader
hxxp: www. canobd2. com/Products/ToolDetail. aspx?Id=D06F4EC72CBC49B88027D26DCFF5F3EA

Thank you so much Kev2 for helping a gal out I really appreciate your kindness.