abrad

Make
Hyundai
Model
Accent
Year
Miles
Engine
So, this is my daughters car, a week ago the check engine light came on, complete with the rough running.

This has been an ongoing issue, happens about once a year. Usually, it’s the coil has crapped the bed, put in new one and problem is fixed. There is a small oil leak, which leads to a slight accumulation of oil around the boot. Of course, the car is never here long enough for dad to investigate!

Currently, I have swapped the plug and coil from #2 and #4, cleared code, and it immediately comes back to cylinder 2. Disconnected the coil harness from #2 while running, no change in idle. Swapped out the harness with a new one, no change. #2 injector was replaced (put a stethoscope on it, couldn’t hear any ticking from that one, but could hear it on the other 3). Can now hear ticking on #2 injector.
Yet I still have the code popping right back on after clearing.
Sprayed about half a cans worth carb and choke cleaner all around the intake manifold, no change in rpms.

I’m running out of ideas! Anyone else have any ideas?

billr

wrench
Staff member
What are the compression readings?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
as a tech day in and day out, check crank sensor

block rustes there gap gets wonky6

10 mm bolt

buy vraank sensor forst

this may be the best 30bucks you ever spent here

wink wink

abrad

Compression test came back all within 5psi of each other.
155, 150, 150, 155

Going to replace the leaking valve cover gasket, and will replace all 4 plugs. Let’s hope this does the trick.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Abrad, What brand of spark plug did you put in her car last year? Some brands (Bosch) don't last very long.

abrad

NGK
Just replaced with 4 new ones (also NGK), and replaced the valve cover gasket with the new rings that go around the spark plug tube.

Started it up, let it run for a couple minutes, and no codes. Turned it off, put the cover back in place, and sent her out for a test ride. She’s been gone a couple minutes, and no panic/pissed phone call…!!!

abrad

Update - she made it back with no issues!
I’m going to tentatively call this one fixed (fingers crossed!!!). Don’t know if it was the new plugs, or the new gasket (the O-ring that seals against the spark plug cylinder tower had actually come loose and worked it’s way down to bottom of the shaft. Kind of wondering if that was causing some of the problem…